Help: Goslings got wet over night

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
My 3 week old embdens got soaked last night and their brooder retained the water so they were sitting in crap water until I let them out in the morning. Most of them look fine but I set up an extra heat lamp just in case they need it. One of them is not doing good at all. I took it in and gvae a warm bath to clean and warm it up and have it in a cat kennel with heat. Its very weak, is wheezing and has lost a ton of weight.

I want to give electrolytes but im not sure if geese differ from chickens in what electrolytes are good. Also, would some poultry cell be a good idea?

My 3 week old embdens got soaked last night and their brooder retained the water so they were sitting in crap water until I let them out in the morning. Most of them look fine but I set up an extra heat lamp just in case they need it. One of them is not doing good at all. I took it in and gvae a warm bath to clean and warm it up and have it in a cat kennel with heat. Its very weak, is wheezing and has lost a ton of weight.

I want to give electrolytes but im not sure if geese differ from chickens in what electrolytes are good. Also, would some poultry cell be a good idea?
So far you’ve done the right things to clean and dry them.
Also wise to keep the sickly one separate and all of them warm, but especially make sure the sick one is warm.
I think regular chick electrolytes would be helpful, and some poultry cell or Nutri-Drench especially for the sickly one.
Make sure they are eating and drinking.

Get some B complex too to perk them up, or might try PoultryRx to help clear up the respiratory issues.

I put poultrycell in their water. Ive only seen one drink it but they were all drinking and eating before I moved them so Im not the most worried about that at the moment. 4 of them look fine except for still being filthy. I moved another one inside and one more looks a little weak. I tried my best to clean them but they are still matted in crap. I dont want to try again until they have warmed up more. But when I do I also want it to be as quick as possible for them. Water seemed to do next to nothing to clean them. Should I try dish soap or something?

I put poultrycell in their water. Ive only seen one drink it but they were all drinking and eating before I moved them so Im not the most worried about that at the moment. 4 of them look fine except for still being filthy. I moved another one inside and one more looks a little weak. I tried my best to clean them but they are still matted in crap. I dont want to try again until they have warmed up more. But when I do I also want it to be as quick as possible for them. Water seemed to do next to nothing to clean them. Should I try dish soap or something?
I would let them warm up and dry off, then let them have a bath deep enough to submerge and swim in, I wouldn’t use dish soap just yet.

Are they alright now? Just learned today that too much dampness can damage the lungs.
They seem perfectly fine. I tossed the brooder I was using and upgraded to a dog igloo for overnight and made the fencing for their run easy to move. They seem to be enjoying that they are getting a new patch of fresh grass every day. The only change I notice is they totally hate being held now after I had to clean them so thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom