Help! Got new hen and others will not let her go into tractor run.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4urbanchicks, Aug 2, 2010.

1. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    My three month old hen was killed by a raccoon last week, [​IMG] and I just got a replacement hen to put with the other surviving 2 hens. We have a small chicken tractor, with coop above and run below. I tried the trick of putting her in the coop part with them after dark, but when I opened the ramp to let them in the run, they won't let her down with them and keep pecking and chasing her. [​IMG] I am afraid of locking them back up together tonight, since she has nowhere to escape from them in the closed up coop. Any suggestions? I am afraid that they will kill her, and since I just lost my last chicken I cannot bear to lose another! Please help with advise if you can. I have no other place to put her besides the tractor, as we live in town.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Do you have a dog crate that you could put her in and put it inside or next to the tractor for a couple of days where they can see her but can't get to her? Then after a couple of days put her in with them at night. There may still be some pecking, but not as much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: