HELP! green smelly poo

Barboller

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Please could anyone help. I have 6 chickens but one is looking very ..under the weather. For aprox 4 days she has had runny green, extremely smelly poo. She is eating and drinking but she isn't herself. He has now stopped "hanging with the gang" and stands and watch's them. She will join them sometimes and will peck at the grass. If you watch her she looks like she is falling asleep. Her comb is no longer a bright pink more a dull pink. She looks generally unhappy. On advice of others I have cut away the matted poo clogged feathers from around her back end. Which nearly made me sick because of the smell. Back half is hunched over at times. Vent pulses all the time. I have given all the chickens a three day course of Verm X in the water (which they hate and make for the nearest puddle). I have given her my best chedder cheese, and today rehyradation formula soaked in bread.
Egg production from her stopped a week ago. Hen house cleaned top to tail Sunday and droppings cleared everyday. Everything strubbed.

She feels warm and still makes noises at me. Felt her tummy and it feels slightly larger than the others????not sure what to look for if anything.

Any advice as what it could be and how I can help her???
caf.gif

Green poo means she has not been eating. If there is any fecal matter, see if you can take it in for a fecal float test. Just the poo and the vet shouldn't charge much. Any vet. It will be able to determine if there are internal paracties and what types so you can get the right drugs if they are there.

Other than that, she could be egg bound, so might search on that. Soak in warm bath and feel around if an egg is stuck.

More info may help like bedding, age, feed, other signs, symptoms, weather changes, etc.

Good luck!

Well she sleeps in a shed with boxes containing dust free wood shavings. Changed every other day. Shes about 7 months old. Is meant to lay blue coloured eggs but come out pale brown. They eat layers pellets, handful of corn, any veg scraps and bits of bread.
English weather is very changeable but they are kept dry and out of any major down pours or wind.

Left to free range about 5 hours a day in the garden.

Shes stopped bathing and cleaning herself.

Thats all the back ground I can give you.

I don't want to take her to a vet as will cost more than the chicken. £25 just for a consultation. I don't think so. I much as I like her I will try other methods first.

Oh I did have some odd eggs a week ago with no shell I thought it was another chicken but it could of been her.
hmm.png

You don't have to take her to the vet , just the poo, however, rules may be different where you are so things like that can vary.

If you suspect she was the one who laid the shell less eggs, she may have developed an internal problem. Feeding her boiled egg yolk and bird vits may help her get her energy back. I'd still try to see if there was an egg stuck inside and try giving a warm soaking bath just in case something needs to be dislodged. Calcium in the form of oyster shells may be a good thing to help with egg laying, since their diet has stuff other than layer.

Worms or cocci may be possible, both which are diagnosed via a fecal float test.

Thank you for your help. I have given her a bath and have tried to see if there is an egg. Don't know how far to put my finger in to feel for anything. This action seemed to produce some bubbles from her vent. The poo has turned from green to a light yellow and still runny.
However after having a wash she does look better.

I tried giving her some bread soaked in rehydration fluid but she wouldn't go near it. I don't know if thats because I had just done to her or because she just didn't fancy it. She went for a worm once I had let her out of the shed but one of the others quickly stole it from her before I could stop them.

How far do I put my fingers in? what can it be?? Most grateful for help.
thumbsup.gif

If you can get to a pet store, pick up some baby bird handfeeding formula. It's a powder, and you mix it with water to the consistency you need. It's packed with vits/mins that are really good for chickens, and they seem to really like it. Mix it up and then sprinkle some of her regular feed on top of it, so she knows it's food.

Do you have her separated from the others? If not, do that right away so she doens't infect the others if she's contagious with something. Nutrition and hydration are super important for her now. GOOD LUCK!
hugs.gif

Thank you for your advice. Will see what I can get for her.

She now keeps climbing in her nesting box. Her back half hunched. Unsure if she is trying to lay or if she is just feeling yuck and about to expire. She then gets up and finds the others ever so slowly.

How far do I have to go inside her to see if an egg is stuck? 1 inch...2???? messy job but if it saves her.

Back
Top Bottom