Help, guidance, advice.

How old are the chicks right now?

It might be easier to integrate the one pullet with the chicks, and then add all of them to the main flock at the same time.
The newest chicks are about 4 weeks old, the one pullet is 14 weeks

The newest chicks are about 4 weeks old, the one pullet is 14 weeks
I would try putting the 14 week pullet in with the 4 week chicks, and watch to see what happens.

Since there is just one of her and several of them, she might fit in just fine. They are already old enough to move quickly so they won't get stepped on and squished the way day-olds might.

If she doesn't do well with them right away, you might try to let her live next to them, and get acquainted through a wire mesh divider for a few days, then try again to introduce them. I think that introduction will probably be easier than putting her with the older hens right now.

Usually, older chickens pick on younger chickens.
And large numbers of chickens pick on small numbers of chickens.
So the pullet has a double disadvantage with the big hens because she is younger and she is alone.
But putting the single pullet in with the younger chicks might balance the two points, because she is older, but they have a larger group.

I've had her in a dog kennel inside the coop for 2 weeks. Today I let her out, and they attacked her pretty hard core. One even got in the dog kennel and attacked her inside that.
I am pretty new around these parts but I saw this advice given to someone else on another thread who was having similar issues (I cannot take credit for the idea, it was posted by another on the forum) but they suggested: separate the coop with a wall of chicken wire. Put your pullet safely on one side of the wire so the other girls can look but not touch. After a week or so put only one of your established hens on the pullet side so that they can get to know each other one on one and the pullet does not need to defend herself against all four at a time. Then One by one over the course of the next few weeks, add another of the hens into the coop on the pullet side.
I cannot claim to have ever tried this myself, but it makes sense to me. It is easy for the 4 hens to gang up on the pullet, but you might have more success if the hens meet the pullet one on one.
Wishing you success!

I like adding her to the chicks - but if that does not work. Try this

A lot depends on your set up - does your run have hide out, pallets leaned against a wall, mini walls, chairs, roosts? If not, add clutter. What you are trying to do is make it so that a bird cannot see every other bird 100% of the time. A lot of runs are just wide open rectangles making almost no use of the vertical part of the run. Set up two or more feed bowls so that, when one bird is eating at one bowl, they cannot see a bird eating at another. Cardboard can make a mini wall too.

Then divide and conquer.
  1. Let all your old birds out for the day, and lock them out. Let the newbie explore the run/coop without being chased for her life. Feed along a fence
  2. Put the newbie back in the single inclosure at dark, let the old ones in
  3. next day, let all of the old one out, except a middle bird. You don't want the top, or the bottom of the pecking order. So one of your middle birds, put with the newly. Now feathers will fly, but it is one on one, not 4 on one. Let it settle
  4. Rinse repeat for a few days
  5. Now put your most aggressive hen in the dog crate, and the others in the run with the newbie
  6. rinse repeat, and eventually let in the meanest thing.

Pin-less peepers can also help with small, flocks.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom