Help guide me through hatching and first time quail

clucknpeck

Songster
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Hi everyone! About a month ago my parents expressed to me that they want quail. I have an incubator so I told them I would make it happen. Well today 25 jumbo brown quail eggs were put in the mail for me. I have only hatched chicken eggs, and have only raised chickens and ducks. So I would love input from you knowledgable quail owners just to make me a little more confident.
Let's see if I have this all right, hatching- let set in incubator for 3 days. Will take 17-19 days to hatch. Temp at 100f the whole time. Humidity between 45-50%, and 65-70% during the hatching period. The quail hatch quickly and will want to jump put when opened.

Brooding- any tips on this would be great. Haven't found a whole lot.

Growth- ready to be outside around 5-6 weeks, ready to eat by 10 weeks, and when do they lay?

What else should I know? Thanks guys. I'm getting excited for this new endeavor!

Congratulation's!!
jumpy.gif

Ya, u got that pretty well right for the temp it 101F and 16-19 days...lol and i think ull do just fine if i find anything new ill let u know for sure!!!
frow.gif

Brooding:
Summer Winter
Week 1 90f 95f
Week 2 85f 90f
Week 3 80f 85f

If they are to go outside, they should be being adjusted to the current outside temps with no changes of more than 5 degrees at a time after 4 weeks of age.

Feed:

Feed highest protein (28%) feed, such as game bird starter, for weeks 1-3, then you can begin to step down about 4% per week to 18% if you are growing them out to eat.

Everything I've read said to keep the temp in incubator at 100 because over that can cause deformities to develop while under that caused delayed hatching. My first hatch was not successful at all (hatched 5 out of 24, with one dying at age 4 days) but I'm going to try again in a few weeks when I get my current group out of the brooder in about 2 weeks.

I have a hovabator. It is one with no fan...

I am kind of nervous because my last hatch was not so good. Well it would have been about 60% but one batch of eggs didn't really hatch at all. So it could have been rough shipping. I also didn't let the eggs set.

I have a hovabator. It is one with no fan...
I am kind of nervous because my last hatch was not so good. Well it would have been about 60% but one batch of eggs didn't really hatch at all. So it could have been rough shipping. I also didn't let the eggs set.

You can add a PC fan with 5-9V for about $5.

Back
Top Bottom