Help! Guinea down!* edited for more info*

Where did you get your information that they can get Mareks, every bit of literature I've ever read on them says they do not.

Who me? I didnt read speciffically about guineas and mareks. I just read about mareks. I assumed they could since it was a disease in fowl then guineas could get it. And some people have asked me if it was mareks and i figure they know better than i.

Quote:
No, not you. Every thing I've ever read about them and disease says that they appear to have a natural immunity to Mareks and are not likely to contract most of the poultry diseases we are familiar with.

I raise Red Jungle Fowl and research their lineage and such.

I have run across a few zoos that raise these birds and Guinea Hens and read article that point to Guineas that have supposidly contracted the Marek's virus.

Marek's disease iis becoming a hot topic in the human world and scientist are looking into this virus as a possible cause agent typing for cancer in the human world (a different virus affecting the human world, but related to Marek's virus)

OK, I confess, I worked in the Scientific field for many years and reading a scientifid paper is OK, were others would be bored stiff.

Like I STATED, Guinea hens are resistant to virus agents that chickens turkeys and ducks contract.

However, they can become infected, however rarely.

There was a suggestion that perhaps she is broody. Isn't 19 weeks a bit young for a Guinea to be broody? And besides, anyone who has approached a broody Guinea on the nest has come away with a deep appreciation of the fierceness of such a creature. You didn't mention that kind of aggressive reaction when you approached her.

I think you are doing the only thing you can by making sure she has food and water and hoping this problem will spontaneously resolve itself. Good luck!

Last edited:
Is it possible that she got her toes hung in the fence, i have small gage wire on my out door brooder and have found a guinea hanging upside down a couple a times till i covered the edges up.

Quote:
I had a hen that all the sudden I found laying on her side unable to use her legs at all. She acted the same way that you described your Guinea. I made her a sling to take her weight off her legs and tended to all her needs. A week or so later she showed strength returning to her legs and she's been out running ever since! I have no idea what the problem was, but the sling was definitely the right fix.

Ditto what zazose says. Check the toes.
When vaccinating for mareks, do your guineas too. It can't hurt! lol That's what I do.

She shouldn't go broody till she starts laying. Has she started laying?

she has only layed one egg that im aware of. Which really mean nothing for guineas. Lol but this egg she layed was last wednesday and it was the size of a quail egg. Not a one since. And even broodys use there legs if u make them. She wont.

Back
Top Bottom