Help! Guineas killing each other!

Canden

Hatching
Aug 15, 2020
We are new to Guineas and have woke up each morning to a dead guinea. I’m going to post any info I can think is relevant.

-we started with 20 so they all grew up together.
-they are about 6-7 weeks old
-we moved 13 into a 18x20 foot coop with lots of perch options (all same height about 4.5’ up), food (turkey starter) and water, grit and rope/flamingos to play with, and lots of places to hide if needed.
-we have NOT been letting them out of coop yet.
-I have no idea males vs females
-we have a small string of not bright solar powered lights on one side of chain link.
-the coop has two chain link sides, two wooden sides, a chain link roof and an angled tarp.
-temp has been around 70-75 at night

Each morning there is one dead guinea, always in the same place. It is def not a predator. It looks pecked to death underneath wing above leg.

We have lost 7 this way! They did not seem to be injured before this and it always happens at night.

We are new to Guineas and have woke up each morning to a dead guinea. I’m going to post any info I can think is relevant.

-we moved 13 into a 18x20 foot coop with lots of perch options (all same height about 4.5’ up), food (turkey starter) and water, grit and rope/flamingos to play with, and lots of places to hide if needed.
-we have a small string of not bright solar powered lights on one side of chain link.
-the coop has two chain link sides, two wooden sides, a chain link roof and an angled tarp.

Each morning there is one dead guinea, always in the same place. It is def not a predator. It looks pecked to death underneath wing above leg.

We have lost 7 this way! They did not seem to be injured before this and it always happens at night.
Im really sorry that you’ve lost so many! That does not sound at all like guinea on guinea violence. The wound location is wrong and the ages are wrong. Plus, guineas can’t see in the dark so are not aggressive at night. Your keets are probably terrified though as they will have heard the commotion. A weasel seems likely. They can get through tiny gaps and will make small wounds in their prey, sucking blood from the neck or thorax. Can you put up a remote or game camera to catch what’s going on? Can you provide detailed pics of your coop so we can help you look for gaps?

Im really sorry that you’ve lost so many! That does not sound at all like guinea on guinea violence. The wound location is wrong and the ages are wrong. Plus, guineas can’t see in the dark so are not aggressive at night. Your keets are probably terrified though as they will have heard the commotion. A weasel seems likely. They can get through tiny gaps and will make small wounds in their prey, sucking blood from the neck or thorax. Can you put up a remote or game camera to catch what’s going on? Can you provide detailed pics of your coop so we can help you look for gaps?
OP said they were living in a chain link enclosure. That’s why I didn’t think we could rule out predator.

:welcome

Canden, forgot to add to my first reply but welcome to Backyard Chickens! There are a lot of people, on the guinea forum as well as building and predator forums, who would like to help you sort out what’s happening to your flock.

OP said they were living in a chain link enclosure. That’s why I didn’t think we could rule out predator.
Yes, totally agree, if it’s just chain link any small predator could get through. Weasels, mink, snakes, rats, probably others! I was hoping OP would post some pictures as maybe there is a hardware cloth liner or some such?

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your guineas!!

I have 8 that are almost adults (4 Mos). I lost one to a snake and then got crazy about predator proofing. So far so good.
2 things stick out...
Chain link is too big. Go over that with wire mesh. Also, if you lay tack strips that are for carpet that will keep snakes and other crawlies out. When you think you've got it sealed up, think again. Predators are one step ahead of us.
Secondly, mine were beating each other up at about 1.5 months. Guineas need to get their energy out. Once I got them into a yard during the day to scratch and chase bugs then all was well again. Juvenile guineas need to stretch their legs.
This may be overkill but after I lost my guinea to an 8 ft snake that my husband and I had to do battle with, he put a camera in the coop. Now I can look at it anytime and see what's going on day or night. $29 on Amazon has really put me at ease.
If you have any questions please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom