Help!!!! hard plug in day old chicks bum

jobmcd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Baltimore, Md
I noticed the chick hasn't been lying down when sleeping/resting. It's standing up, I checked it out and it has a hard plug in it's bum, it's not pasty it is a solid plug inside. Warm water hasn't done anything, please help me, heard that backed up chicks die quickly!

are you sure its not her umbilical cord?

Many folks get confused with this one.

If you see another hole higher up (closer to her backside) then what you're messing with is the umbilical cord. LEAVE IT ALONE, it will drop off on its own.

You need to get that off as soon as possible. Run it's bum under warm water. If it is as hard as you say, it is going to take time. But It Will come off. You just have to work at it. Chicks tend to get this in the first few days of life. They do grow out of it. Just check them every other day.

By the way
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I agree with all other posters; check first to make sure you're seeing a pasted bum and not another problem.

If it is pasty butt, I would hold the chick's bum under gently running warm water in the bathroom sink. I also wipe GENTLY with a damp paper towel or rag. It will take a few minutes for the poo to soften under the water, but I assure you it will indeed soften and fall off. Dry chick off, pop back into the brooder.

You might also check brooder temp, as too hot or too cold temps can contribute to pasting up.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom