Help! Has anyone ever successfully moved a guinea flock?

Hbarnett501

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
I have a small group of guineas (4) that started out in a coop but when I let them out to free range they ended up choosing the railing of my porch to roost at night. Now they are 7 months old and love to sing and clack all night long. This would be fine if they weren’t attached to the house. I do have the option of putting them back into the 20 x 10 caged run. My question is, how long would it take to break them of this habit? Has anyone had experience trying to move a guinea flock?

I have a small group of guineas (4) that started out in a coop but when I let them out to free range they ended up choosing the railing of my porch to roost at night. Now they are 7 months old and love to sing and clack all night long. This would be fine if they weren’t attached to the house. I do have the option of putting them back into the 20 x 10 caged run. My question is, how long would it take to break them of this habit? Has anyone had experience trying to move a guinea flock?
Pen them up for 6 weeks. When you do start leaving them out again, be sure to put them in the coop every night.

You can coop train them with treats or by herding them in. Make sure that you start early enough that you can get them locked in the coop before dark.

Do you not have a big enough tree for them to roost in? Mine automatically went for a tree that they picked out and have never abandoned it as their roosting place...

Do you not have a big enough tree for them to roost in? Mine automatically went for a tree that they picked out and have never abandoned it as their roosting place...
Letting your guineas roost in trees is an invitation to predators.

I lost my whole first flock of guineas to Great Horned owls.

Letting your guineas roost in trees is an invitation to predators.

I lost my whole first flock of guineas to Great Horned owls.
I guess it depends on the location you are in. I have never had any grown up birds attacked. I also suppose that I don't have that many to attract attention. There are a lot of wild rabbits about, so I think they are the main targets...

I guess it depends on the location you are in. I have never had any grown up birds attacked. I also suppose that I don't have that many to attract attention. There are a lot of wild rabbits about, so I think they are the main targets...
No, it just depends on whether or not you have owls.

Rabbits have good night vision & are active at night. Guineas are practically blind in the dark (some of mine can't see at all) & they get sluggish at night, plus if they're roosting in a tree they're that much easier to get at.

Predators are lazy and will always go after the easiest meal. You'll know the owls have moved in when you find the headless guineas in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom