We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Help! Hatch issue!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dgrif5, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    Sorry for the message, but it's my first hatch and I'm having a major issue. The first chick seems to have hatched in the night (day 19/20), and seems fine, but the humidity in the incubator has spiked to 89%!! Will it go back down, or should I do something? Will the other chicks drown?? Thanks.

BlueBaby and the cluck juggler like this.
  2. Erba

Erba Songster

May 4, 2018
    Bollschweil, Germany
    Leave that incubator alone. There is no such thing as too high humidity during the hatch.

BlueBaby and Shezadandy like this.
  3. the cluck juggler

the cluck juggler Incubator Addict

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    Humidity will go up when a chick has exited the egg. Have the other eggs externally pipped? In that case, no problem! If all the other eggs have un-broken shells, lift the lid up and let out a little bit of air and the humidity will slowly go down a bit.

BlueBaby likes this.
  4. FredsGobblers

FredsGobblers Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    north Missouri
    x2 if the other eggs have not pipped yet lift lid and turn just a bit so not sealed. This will let some of the humidity out while allowing the temp to stay stable. I had the same thing happen on a hatch where 12 hatched and other 12 eggs had not pipped filled with fluid in the air cells.

5. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    There are five eggs in there, and at least two others have pipped externally, though it's hard to see the other two. I'll leave it then and see how it goes! Thank you for the help, and I'll be sure to post pictures once they're fluffed up and out of the incubator in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: