HeLP?hatched one egg, 48 hours old,what do i do now? Is DEAD

redtailross

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Salcha, Alaska
So my new chick is 48 hours old, where shoud I put it, Ionly had ne hatch on the 19th day, no luck with the other 12...

So I tried putting this chick in with some 5 day old chicks, but mine is so tiny compared to the hatchery chicks.

So shoud I set up an individual brooder for this tiny one?
Do you think my other eggs might hatch late, does that happen?

I don't want to lose myone chick,please help...

he is a little ugly, but hes mine...
31736_new_hatched_chick_009.jpg

My love;ly chick just died, i think I kept it in the incubator too long, and my other eggs have still not hatched at day 22...is this normal to be so unsuccessful?

Last edited:
Awwww... Too cute! When I have a hatch where the chicks aren't all due to hatch at the same time I'll set up 2 brooders. A small one for the first couple days and a larger one that they will all eventually get to. I keep the newly hatched fuzz butts in the smaller brooder until I'm sure that they are eating/drinking and until the newly-hatched-wobblies wear off
smile.png

I also wait until about the 25th day to throw out unhatched eggs. There is a chance you might still have one or two hatch.

Hope this helps
smile.png

I'm sorry for you loss. Unfortunately, it happens.

The first time we tried using our bator I think we had 3 hatch out of about 20. Each time we got better and better hatch rates. As you get used to your bator you'll get better at preventing temp spikes and learn how to get your humidity just right. I know it is soooo disappointing to wait 3 weeks and not get much if anything but don't get discouraged.

Like I said in my last post, I leave my unhatched eggs in the bator until day 25. At that point I will take them outside and carefully break a small hole into the air sac and see what happened. If you can see a fully developed chick it may be a humidity problem, too low or even too high. If it just looks like a gelatinous mess, chances are it was something else. A temp spike, bacterial, or a host of other causes. The chick would have died earlier in the incubation.

Hubby just added, if you think it's a dead egg, DON'T DROP IT IN THE FLOOR! LOL He did and words can not describe the smell. The kids and I went outside for a while so he could clean it up
smile.png
That's why I suggested taking them outside to break them open.

Good luck on your next hatch and maybe you'll get a surprise and some more will hatch out of this one.

Back
Top Bottom