Help! Hatching egg question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FreshSourceFarm, Jun 17, 2011.

1. FreshSourceFarm

FreshSourceFarm New Egg

May 16, 2011
    I have a hatching egg that as been trying to work its way out for two days now. Last night it was making progress and then this am it had a yellow sticky substance around where it was pipping. I don't see anymovement now either and before it was moving a lot. Any ideas? I had another chick that has already hatched from this group of eggs.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've had that yellow stuff. It will set up hard as a rock. That chick is not going to hatch on its own. I helped one like that once and it lived, but I've also lost them. If you are going to help it, now is the time.

3. FreshSourceFarm

FreshSourceFarm New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for the information. I have to take the other chick out so I might take that egg out and try to help it. Not sure if its even still alive. It looked like it was earlier as I could see slight movement.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If it is alive and you don't help it, it will die. Moisten the area where the yellow ick is. I use a q-tip with a small dish of warm water. To keep the water warm I set the dish on a heating pad. It will take a while so you will have to be patient. The chick probably got stuck.

5. FreshSourceFarm

FreshSourceFarm New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Thank you all for you help.

I ended up loosing the chick:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by