Help! Hatching Wild Duck Eggs - babies hatch 24 hrs apart + need more input!

They are inside in a large Rubbermaid currently.

I have a brooder plate set on top of a towel. The rest of the bin has paper towel and shelf liner. This is just a few hours inside the enclosure. Looks like the older ate a tiny bug and a couple nibbles here and there. But hasn't really been eating or drinking it seems. He is extremely curious Climbing everything and certainly notices no top to his cage. Bit of a dare devil at 28hrs post hatch haha. He seems aware he is stuck in an enclosure and is pecking the walls.

The other is really only several hours old at this point.

I'll attach a photo of the enclosure. Should I sprinkle local sand into their enclosure or straight into their food mixed with some water?

Attachments

• 20240525_190316.jpg
    20240525_190316.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
They are inside in a large Rubbermaid currently.

I have a brooder plate set on top of a towel. The rest of the bin has paper towel and shelf liner. This is just a few hours inside the enclosure. Looks like the older ate a tiny bug and a couple nibbles here and there. But hasn't really been eating or drinking it seems. He is extremely curious Climbing everything and certainly notices no top to his cage. Bit of a dare devil at 28hrs post hatch haha.

The other is really only several hours old at this point.

I'll attach a photo of the enclosure. Should I sprinkle local sand into their enclosure or straight into their food mixed with some water?
I would put the sand in a separate dish or in a pile on the floor.

They don’t eat a lot at first. Soon they will be eating a ton

I am having a hard time giving new ducklings sand I keep thinking of impaction since ducklings first have to learn what food is to eat. As long as they are only eating starter crumble I don't think it is necessary.
Just me and my humble opinion :oops:

I am having a hard time giving new ducklings sand I keep thinking of impaction since ducklings first have to learn what food is to eat. As long as they are only eating starter crumble I don't think it is necessary.
Just me and my humble opinion :oops:
I didn’t give any to my ducklings until they were 2 weeks old, but they were only eating chick starter. I know some people who do it right away..

Back
Top Bottom