Help! Hatchlings and spraddle leg!

make sure she is warm enough but dont fry her under a light since she is in a cup, take her out every few hours and see how she walks to eat and drink! Good Luck!

What I had she wouldn't stay in, so I hobbled her. It wasn't easy she was so wiggly, should I do her feet too? I didn't like touching her because she hasn't fluffed all the way yet. I hope thats ok and wont hurt her. Thanks for all the advice!

Overheating/under heating is exactly why I recommend a rubber band.. The loops are loose enough so they can walk, yet hold their legs together. The loops around each leg are not tight & swivel around allowing them to walk only restricting the length of their step. After they get their legs under them they walk around normally & can adjust their heat requirements on their own. Their legs are pulled under them immediately, they are walking within a few minutes & the loops are loose enough that they eventually step out of one side, the rubber band unwinds & drops off the other side

I don't have her in a brooder yet, I need a light for it. So for now I'm keeping her in the incubator she's just now 24 hrs old. She is so cute!

Congrats on your chick! Sally gave you some good advice, I love the teacup method. And it really works! Check out the sites she linked for you as well. The orthopaedics site has some fantastic info on it. Good luck with your little one!

How long should I keep her in the cup? I tried taping her with vet tape, but she was so wiggly and it kept coming off. This is the best cup that I could find and she will kind of stay in it, but does seem to be better! yay! You guys are so great on here!

just keep checking her until she is walking better and then keep an eye on her if she still pulls out a tad do it again for a day. she is adorable!

So I am going for round 2, I have 5 bantam eggs that I picked up on a friday so assuming 1 of them was laid that day and counted back 5 days and said that was day 1. So going by that calendar tomorrow is day 18, should I lock down and not turn any of them? From my last hatch I followed the calendar the same way, but I knew when each egg was laid. At hatch day (21) had 3 eggs that made it, and only had 1 successful hatch. So far I have all 5!! Please give you feed back and advice, it would be so cool to hatch more than 1 this time.

Back
Top Bottom