HELP!!! Hawk grabbed my silkie hen...

randiferina

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Georgia
I WAS OUTSIDE WITH MY SILKIE HEN AND HER TWO CHICKS WHEN I HEARD HER SHOUT IN ALARM.. I turned around to see a huge broad winged hawk on top of her I ran at the hawk andit flew off and dragged her a few feet but then let go.. She has two holes in her back that I can see.. Not sure if there are more or how deep they are. She is breathing OK, just kind of rapidly.. She was panicked at first but when I found her babies and reunited them, she calmed down and now I think she is in shock. She tried to walked but she wobbles a lot and falls.. I just put her in a pet carrier with her babies and put them in a quiet place.. anything I can do to help? Or is it best to leave her alone and let nature take it's course?

I dont have any available right now. I can probably pick some up in the morning. If she makes it through the night, then I'm guessing there's a good chance for a full recovery...? I'm hoping anyway. Poor little thing :(

Keep her in a calm quiet place with her babies. You can offer some poultry vitamins to her water - it's ok for the chicks to drink as well for a day or two. Check her over well, flush her wounds with saline, diluted betadine or warm soapy water if that is all you have. You can apply some plain neosporin to the wounds. Vetericyn is good, but neosporin will work if that's what you have.

Have a "plan b" just in case she takes a turn and you need to do something with the babies. Just have another container and heat source handy if needed.

Let us know how she is doing.

Watch puncture wounds closely, they are most likely to get infected.. Who knows where a hawk's talons have been. Chickens have great recuperative powers, if she comes out of shock, she should be fine. Hoping for the best possible outcome.

I certainly will! Thank you! This is her and babies about 45 mins after the incident.. I've since moved them inside.. It's dark here now and they've nestled in. Should I take her out and clean wounds now? Or leave them be for the night?.. I just really don't want to cause her too much stress. I have backup available for babies. Hoping she's going to hang in there for them. After it happened, ALL she was worried about was her babies. Shes a tough little girl!

When one of my hens was bitten by a dog, I cleaned the wounds right away even though she was still very much in shock. I was afraid of an infection. I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not but she ended up making a full recovery. I hope your hen does too!

I certainly will! Thank you! This is her and babies about 45 mins after the incident.. I've since moved them inside.. It's dark here now and they've nestled in. Should I take her out and clean wounds now? Or leave them be for the night?.. I just really don't want to cause her too much stress. I have backup available for babies. Hoping she's going to hang in there for them. After it happened, ALL she was worried about was her babies. Shes a tough little girl!
If you can get her and clean the wounds, I would go ahead and do it. You want to get them cleaned out as soon as possible so you can hopefully flush any bacteria out so she doesn't get an infection. After you clean her up, if she is wet, you may want to dry her a bit with a hair dryer before you put her back with the babies.

Watch for signs of infection, oozing pus or odors.

[/IMG]

UPDATE!!!

Sorry for the delayed update... Mom and babies are fine.. I can honestly say that I didn't expect her to make it when this first happened! But after cleaning her up and keeping wounds cleaned and dressed... She seems back to her normal self again! Although she does constantly watch the sky now when I let them out
1f602.png
I just make sure to be out there supervising at all times now when they're outside of the run. Thanks for all the helpful tips! She's a tough little thing
1f60a.png

UPDATE!!!

Sorry for the delayed update... Mom and babies are fine.. I can honestly say that I didn't expect her to make it when this first happened! But after cleaning her up and keeping wounds cleaned and dressed... She seems back to her normal self again! Although she does constantly watch the sky now when I let them out
1f602.png
I just make sure to be out there supervising at all times now when they're outside of the run. Thanks for all the helpful tips! She's a tough little thing
1f60a.png
Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear she is doing well
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom