HELP, HELP,HELP........broody hen!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sommalincolne Bantie Roo, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Sommalincolne Bantie Roo

Sommalincolne Bantie Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2012
    West Yorkshire, England
    Hiya All

Please can anyone help .......Ive two broody hens sat on 16x eggs which are 7days old. Ive candled some very quickly which are fertile but my problem is they have nested in my Peking house which means id have to house the Pekings in the other house but then they would be two cockerel's in one house. I do have another smaller house with a run attached which would be ideal for mummy and babies. Can I move the eggs and hen from one house to another and what is the best time to do this? Should I house one broody hen or both of them as they are sat very tightly together keeping these eggs warm, bless them! Please can anyone give me advise on what is the best thing to do.

Many Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if they have made 7 days where they are with no problems. Why not let them finish incubating where they are then move them and the chicks to the smaller house and run?

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I don't think there is a right answer to this. It all depends on the particular broodies involved. Some move, some don't. Some share, some don't. If you really HAVE to move them, do so. If you can tolerate things as is, do so.
    Broodies are like preggy wimmin... all different. :)

4. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    If you do move I would suggest doing it AT NIGHT. She'll be a little more calm but all in all usually they will move unless you have some seriously picky broody ;)

5. Sommalincolne Bantie Roo

Sommalincolne Bantie Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2012
    West Yorkshire, England
    Thank you for all your replies.
    I think maybe it was me panicking abt moving them. They both seem quite happy to share the house with the Pekings at night and are very happy with the nesting area which fits both Sussex's comfortably so I'll take all of your advice and leave the broodies until the eggs hatch (fingers crossed!!) and maybe move the Pekings when I can get the smaller house up into the field as its solid and quite heavy for one person.

Thanks again for your advice...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by