HELP!HELP!HELP! Hatching babies RIGHT now!!!

Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Tallahassee
Ok... we're complete noobs... we have 5 hens & 2 went broody about a 1.5 months ago... after fighting with them for several weeks we decided to just go ahead and buy some fertilized eggs. Well.. 21 days later - we've got hatching signs for 3 of the 5 eggs. When we got home and started 'mommy' duties.. (feeding.. fresh water).. one of the hens was up and moving and we saw that the egg had cracked and a wing was poking out.. YEAH!!! (not that we actually did anything.. but it's still exciting!!) after the mommies got fed .. one of them rolled the hatching egg back under her.. my question (yes.. i'm getting to the point ... LOL) is.. is that ok?? her sitting on it while it's trying to hatch? or should we remove it and let it hatch itself now that it's started..

Last edited:
I don't know because I've never had a broody, but wishing you good luck! I would think it's fine and she will know what to do. I know it must stay warm, and if you take it out it won't.

IMO I would leave it, she knows, or should know, what she is doing and will not smother the baby... are you sure it has a wing poking out? I've never seen a wing come first
smile.png
neat

Anotherday@thefunnyfarm :

Ok... we're complete noobs... we have 5 hens & 2 went broody about a 1.5 months ago... after fighting with them for several weeks we decided to just go ahead and buy some fertilized eggs. Well.. 21 days later - we've got hatching signs for 3 of the 5 eggs. When we got home and started 'mommy' duties.. (feeding.. fresh water).. one of the hens was up and moving and we saw that the egg had cracked and a wing was poking out.. YEAH!!! (not that we actually did anything.. but it's still exciting!!) after the mommies got fed .. one of them rolled the hatching egg back under her.. my question (yes.. i'm getting to the point ... LOL) is.. is that ok?? her sitting on it while it's trying to hatch? or should we remove it and let it hatch itself now that it's started..

I would say let nature take it's course. Don't disturb mama. She knows what she's doing.​

thanks - nope.. it was a total do-it-yourself.. check my page.. it's explains it all.. no plans.. no idea what we were doing.. we're rather proud of it though.. so not finished.. we're already planning on adding an additional run .. etc..

on another note.. we have 3 hatched babies.. 1 egg still in question.. and 1 baby that didn't make it (sigh).. but the new fuzzybutts are ADORABLE!!! you can see them via the link above

Back
Top Bottom