Help help rabbit babys!!

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Help!

My rabbit was not due untill Friday but she just gave birth today. She did it in her small 12x8x6 sleeping box. I thought it was too small for her and her babies to fit in so I moved her and the babys in my basement in a large rubbermaid. She inorged them and was steping on them in the box and they would cry. so I moved her and them back to the shed with the same box and she inorged them So I moved her once again to my bucks hutch which is large and warm. It's half inclosed and I put a half a box in there to contain the babys. Will she take back to them? And would the crazyness screw her up and the babys??? Help! It's my first time with babys

Help help help

Last edited:
I'm sure others will chime in with more information for you but for starters I would stop moving her. Just pick a spot and let her be. Does actually don't spend a great deal of time with their kits. As long as they are warm and dry things should be fine. But if she is a first time mother she may be a bit confused too. Sometimes they will kill the kits because they aren't 100 % sure what they are doing
sad.png
It's hard on the owner but sometimes the litter just doesn't do well no matter how much we want it to or how much we try to help.

Yes, stop with all the moving. Mother rabbits spend very little time in with the kits. They aren't like mother hens. Just pick a location and leave them there. She's not ignoring them.

I have to agree with the others. Do not move them. Make sure they are warm enough maybe put a light near them b/c that is one of the biggest factors in losing a litter early on. Secondly the mom will only feed them once or twice at the most a day so even if you don't see her in there with them it doesn't necessarily mean there is great cause for concern. Occasionally maybe in the morning or at night, feel their little bellies. If fed they will kind of feel like they swallowed a grape...their bellies would be rounded. Just take a deep breath and relax. I don't want to alarm you but alot of times the does usually lost their first litter. Now that's not to say you will but a few of mine lost their first and then went on to have other successful, healthy litters.
You are doing a great job Bryan. Just peek in on her and her babies every now and then. Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I'm sure there are many others on here who have been through many births with their does so they will probably chime in too. There is a great site, rabbit talk in ohio or RTO. You can google it. That site has alot of good information posted by very reputable breeders on all aspects of rabbit care.
Good luck! Post pics if you can!
hugs.gif

The more you move them, the better the chances are of her not recognizing they are there, and ignoring tham. Like everyone else said, she will only visit the nest to feed them twice a day.

I've noticed that when any of my animals have had babies they will usually step on them, it's just how they are I wouldn't really worry about it. I would also suggest that you leave her with her babies in one place because she is the mama and she will fix it if something is wrong, just give her a chance.

Don't touch the babies. If the mother picks up your scent she will abandon. If you did touch them take some of the hair she should have pull for the nest and rub it on the babies. It is not unusual for a mother to have a little trouble with the first litter. Don't scare/startle her as she will jump back into the nest box and hurt the babies. If she eats one of the babies, get rid of her because she will do it again. She should not have ever been bothered once she had babies. Did you tear up paper or use hay to help her with her nest? Also make sure she has a salt lick, helps with the eating baby thing! Hang in there, rabbits are a lot more touchy about there young than chickens are. I have owned two commercial meat rabbit operation in my life time. Don't be surprised if a couple/few die.

rocmoc n AZ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom