HELP!! Hen attacked by dog!

Once she gets a taste, she might change her mind LOL
Cute picture:)

No, don't drop water into the nares.
It would be better to drop water beside the beak and allow the drops to "run around" the edge of the beak, they will take it in. Go slowly.
IF you have a small syringe that will slide down in the crop like you would give oral medication, you can give fluids that way, it takes practice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I’m not sure I want to risk using the syringe. She’s taken to watermelon a bit, so that’s a good sign.

Our almost year old hen, Mrs Peaches, was attacked by our dog. He was holding her by the neck in a muddy puddle so her face was covered in mud. I’ve wiped her nostrils clean. I took her inside to give her a bath and while rinsing her off, noticed she had an open wound in the middle of her back (about the size of a dime). I cut away the feathers around the opening and put Neosporin on it with a gauze patch covering the wound.

She is very special to us and we would hate to lose her.

Is there anything else I can do?
She is in a dog crate with towels over it so it is pretty dark. She also has a small dish of water that has vitamins and probiotics in it.

Sounds like you did everything good. Crazy how we get attached to our birds. I bet she will be fine. Maybe in a day or two uncover it so it can dry out. If it’s closing up maybe a little peroxide too. Hope she gets better soon.

Sorry about your injured hen. It can happen with dogs. I lost one and had a couple of injurieswhen they learned how to jump over my fence in the yard. You have received good advice from all. It is good that she is already eating. The wounds will heal with cleaning and plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. Bruising is normal, and appears greenish blue. Hopefully, she had no internal damage to her organs. A hen of mine that was attacked by a dog, went through a molt due to the trauma, and stopped laying for 3-4 months.

I drip a little water over the eggs if they need to drink more. The watery chicken feed usually gets enough into them as well.

Bruising is normal, and appears greenish blue.

No, her shoulder is purple.

I’m bad with chicken anatomy and terms but the area around her (shoulder?) joint is dark purple. My mind just went blank :th

I know what I’m trying to say but I can’t remember what it’s called. It’s like her wing socket? :idunno

Back
Top Bottom