Help! Hen bleeding from vent ***Warning! Graphic poo pic!***

mudderhen

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Clarkesville, GA
I have a little hen, not sure of age, she is a little black orpington, that I got a couple of months ago that was standing in the nest box this evening when I went to feed. I have some silly chickens that want to sleep in or on the nest boxes, so I wasn't too concerned until I realized she didn't want to come eat with everyone else. I picked her up and there was a moderate amount of blood oozing from her vent. It was dark red.
I gently felt her abdomen, but didn't feel anything like an egg. I didn't see anything like egg yolk either. The feathers under her vent looked wet. I brought her home and put her in a warm bathtub. It must have felt goo because she pulled her feet up and floated in the water until I got her out about 30 min. later. Just before I put her in the tub, she poo'd in the floor. It was hard to see on the hardwood, but when I cleaned it up, it was a dark red blood clot with a little "urine" in with it. I have her wrapped in a towel in my lap right now, and she seems okay. Her comb and wattles were slightly pale, but pinked up nicely in the warm water.
Any ideas what may be going on, or what I could do to help her? I have never had this happen to any of my feather babies before!

9532_bloody_poo.jpg

She lives outside in a fanced in lot. Partially covered, eats 16% layer pellets, dirt floor in the coop. Has been acting fine. No outward symptoms of sickness. I have had chickens with cocci before, but she has no actual poo at all. She is passing large blood clots with blood tinged water and the white urine substance. She had another larger blood clot poo since I first posted. I don't have a clue.

Back
Top Bottom