Help! Hen died today...safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cwhit590, Mar 27, 2009.

1. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Hey yall,

One of my BO hens died today. [​IMG] She was perfectly fine last night, but when I came by after work I found her dead in the outdoor run. I looked her over and it didn't look like she was attacked by anything...so I'm thinking she had a heart attack?

I went ahead and processed her...I didn't want to waste the meat...but do you think the meat is safe to eat? It looks fine and doesn't smell bad. The temps didn't get too high (high today here was in the 50's) and I know it happened sometime within the last 24 hrs.

If you guys think the meat is fine..... since she was almost a year old, should the meat be aged longer or something so it isn't too tough? Any suggestions?

This is the 1st time I lost a bird and my 1st time processing...[​IMG].....sorry about all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't chance it. If they're not bled right away it doesn't taste very good.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Everyone I have ever talked to says if you don't know why you bird died or what it died from, don't take a chance.

I wouldn't eat it either.

4. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Hmmm....oh well, at least it was an educational experience if nothing else!

Any other opinions?

Anyone else have a similar situation happen?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Never eat anything you can't determine the specific cause of death. It is far too risky especially for unknown disease. You never want to eat animal that could have been sick.

6. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I agree it's not worth the risk.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Sorry about your hen, cwit. [​IMG]

Question... does that rule apply to meat birds too? If one dies of a heart attack can it still be processed and eaten? Just something I've wondered about. [​IMG]

8. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yuck, I would never eat a chicken if I didnt know what killed it, and I eat some pretty questionable things LOL.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I wouldn't.

Any chicken I eat that doesn't come from the store, I'm going to watch bleed out!

Anything else (for me at least) would be like eating road kill.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Throw away ANY animal you didn't either buy at the store or kill yourself. Don't feed it to the dogs, don't look for a cause of death, just burn or bury it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by