Help! Hen has dark droopy comb, yellow substance around vent and lethargic

Sassy Hen

Chirping
Jul 3, 2021
This is my white leghorn hen who is a little over a year old. Her comb is usually slightly droopy because it really is massive, but seems more droopy than usual. On the tips her comb is a dark red, maybe almost purple? She was normal yesterday but now is lethargic and seems to be sleeping a lot. Also not eating much, which is concerning.

She is now separated from the flock (flock is perfectly normal) and has food and water which she isn’t eating. A while ago she had some swelling near the vent and was limping. We gave her corid that time, she recovered and seemed to be healthy, other than a few missing feathers near the vent. But now her vent has some weird yellow substance? Is it that she didn’t fully recover the first time?

I think seeing poop is supposed to be useful when diagnosing a problem. For whatever reason, either she didn’t poop or she buried it, but I haven’t been able to find any. Not sure if that’s bad.

Should I give her Corid again or is this something else? Any suggestions/help is appreciated!

Attachments

• EFB4A8B0-96EE-43D9-86CB-814F09EDAD60.jpeg
    EFB4A8B0-96EE-43D9-86CB-814F09EDAD60.jpeg
    604.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 09D4E159-D261-4215-BB98-C5E56AD28CF9.jpeg
    09D4E159-D261-4215-BB98-C5E56AD28CF9.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 11
When is the last time she laid an egg?

Work on hydration. Calcium Citrate (1tablet) daily for 3-5 days.
She looks to be having a really rough time of it. She may be having reproductive problems.
Do look her over for lice/mites and see that her crop is emptying.

Has not laid an egg this morning yet, will check later. Yesterday she did not lay, I'm not sure about Sunday, but she definitely laid an egg Saturday.
She seems to be a little better, comb is not so dark and droopy. What is Calcium Citrate, where can I get it? Is there something else I could use as a substitute?

I would look to hydro hen available at tractor supply. If she is egg bound, you can youtube a few videos on how to check for that and how to manage it as well. I also would think a small apple cider vinegar, honey and garlic clove would not hurt as well. Make sure that its the vinegar with the mother in it. This works great for my hens.

Has not laid an egg this morning yet, will check later. Yesterday she did not lay, I'm not sure about Sunday, but she definitely laid an egg Saturday.
She seems to be a little better, comb is not so dark and droopy. What is Calcium Citrate, where can I get it? Is there something else I could use as a substitute?
You can find Calcium Citrate (like Caltrate or store brand) at stores like WalMart or CVS.
Just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.

The only time I've ever had a hen with a comb that looked like that was when they were having reproductive problems. Whether she will come right if she lays and egg or whether she's starting to show symptoms of something else more serious, time will tell.

Work on hydration, then see if she will eat a little of her normal feed. Do a check on her to make sure the crop is emptying, that she's lice/mite free and get a fecal float if possible, to see if she needs deworming.

Back
Top Bottom