help - hen is trying to hatch egg - what do I do now?

onebird2

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
I've only had chickens a few months and we've been getting an egg or two a day. But one of the girls won't get off the egg she laid two days ago. Is there something I should be doing? I don't know anything about chicks. Will she hatch it and take care of it? Will she feed it? Help!

If you do not have a rooster the egg will never hatch.

If you do have a rooster and want to let her brood it is no big deal. Mother Nature equiped her for the job of raising chicks and she will do very well with them.

If you don't want her to brood eggs - take the egg and lock her out of the nest.

You are lucky if she is broody. Some of us never get a broody hen to do the job for us. You could even get some more fertile eggs and slip them under her if you want a more chicks to raise.

If she hatches out some chicks, she will take care of them. She wont actually feed them, but will teach them where to get feed and water. She'll keep them warm at night under her wings. Good luck!!
big_smile.png

Oh and if you do let her brood her eggs, you might want to put her in a seperate pen if you can.

Last edited:
Thanks - I feel alittle better about this. I do have a rooster, but he's not real aggressive, so I don't know if he had a hand in this. I don't have anywhere else to put the mom. Should I be worried about her and the egg/chick? I have 3 other hens, but she seems the most aggressive.

I do have a rooster, but he's not real aggressive, so I don't know if he had a hand in this.

It's not his hands you need to worry about
lau.gif

If you have a rooster, there is a very high chance you will have fertile eggs.

Good Luck.​

This is an old yet useful thread. As small as it is its informative. I came to see if there was anything I should be doing for my bantom hen who has been sitting on her 2 fertile eggs for the past 6 days. Yesterday I closed her up in a separate coop, gave her food and water outside her nesting area. So she can eat , drink, sit and concentrait without having the other chickens or roosters interrupt her or stress her out. I check on her 2-3 times a day and so far shes doing great! I cant wait. Im assuming they will hatch around the 16th-20th

Back
Top Bottom