Help! Hen pecking and eating others feathers. Peepers?

Kdub393

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2021
A have a hen who is continually picking and eating the neck feathers of the other chickens. I’ve increased protein a lot, they have plenty of space in the run, they free roam for hours each day, they have lots of distractions in the run, I even tried spraying butter apple spray on the girls necks to see if it would stop it. Nothing has helped. I’m thinking I need to try peepers? But if peepers stop them from seeing directly ahead, won’t they struggle to find bugs and such when they are out foraging? I’m at a loss.

A have a hen who is continually picking and eating the neck feathers of the other chickens. I’ve increased protein a lot, they have plenty of space in the run, they free roam for hours each day, they have lots of distractions in the run, I even tried spraying butter apple spray on the girls necks to see if it would stop it. Nothing has helped. I’m thinking I need to try peepers? But if peepers stop them from seeing directly ahead, won’t they struggle to find bugs and such when they are out foraging? I’m at a loss.
What is the protein percentage of your feed and what if any extras are you feeding?

What is the protein percentage of your feed and what if any extras are you feeding?
Their pellets are 17% protein and I’ve been giving scrambled eggs, grubs, black oiled sunflower seeds, plus any meat we have left over from dinner (except chicken).

Well, I think you need to solve for the greater good, all the chickens who's necks are being plucked verses if the bully gets to eat grasshoppers. It is my understanding they eat just fine.
Yea, I agree. I just ordered them.

Their pellets are 17% protein and I’ve been giving scrambled eggs, grubs, black oiled sunflower seeds, plus any meat we have left over from dinner (except chicken).
Stop all these daily treats. It is taking away from them getting a balanced diet...which is the what the pellets are.

Stop all these daily treats. It is taking away from them getting a balanced diet...which is the what the pellets are.
The feather picking and eating started when there were no treats at all except for the occasional handful of grubs. I’ve only started adding the extra protein snacks recently when all I read about feather eating is to increase protein.

The feather picking and eating started when there were no treats at all except for the occasional handful of grubs. I’ve only started adding the extra protein snacks recently when all I read about feather eating is to increase protein.
It's most likely because your feed's protein is too low. Adding protein from other sources still takes away from other vitamins in the pelleted feed. I would switch to a 20% protein feed with no other treats.

Back
Top Bottom