Help! Hen ripping out own feathers

Jerri85

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 28, 2014
Flora IL
Can someone please help me? My bantam hen about 6 months old has started pulling out her feathers in her chest and she is bleeding all over the place, my rooster and other hen dont seem to be pecking her or bothering with it and i dont see any sign of mites, i just dont know how to treat and keep the wound covered... This sounds funny but i put a&d ointment bc its all i had and bandaids goin down her chest just bc i dont know what to do and its all i had on hand. Her comb is pale. Few weeks ago she lost her best friend due to a dog attack i dont know if this could be related but since she has been pullin the feathers out causing harm to herself this past few days she hasnt laid either. Any advice?

Since she is a bantam, do you think a wide sock might fit her? Pull it as far down her neck as you can - be certain it isn't too tight. This may keep her from reaching her chest. It's possible she could be ripping feathers because she is upset. I know parrots do that. Maybe putting some Blu Kote on her chest would help too - it has a bad taste and will camouflage her raw spots. When the other chickens see red/blood, wounds they will really peck at her. Chickens get weird like sharks and can resort to cannibalism - so supervise as much as you can. Or remove her to a separate area to heal.

You could also get her pinless peepers - so she doesn't maul herself so much. She could have an allergy to something that is making her feather peck in can be a physical cause as well as emotional.

Please post her symptoms in detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread for some fresh opinions.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your bantam. drumstick diva gave you some good suggestions. You might also want to post a picture of the wound/bird in the Emergencies forum to help people see what is going on.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Drumstick Diva's given some good advice.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Drumstick Diva has given you some great advice. You might put a ticking clock in the coop. Or play some quiet music during the day. I have had great luck with stressed out birds and using a ticking clock 24/7. Seems to calm their nerves. I hope you can get her back to a good mental state soon.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Thankyou to everyone for the great advice!!! Believe it or
Mot the a&d ointment and bandaids seemed to have helped. I know how it sounds but atleasst she couldnt peck for a lil bit and then today the bandaids were hanging off but all the blood dried up and i put some neosporin on her and havent noticed anymore pecking so heres to hoping

Back
Top Bottom