Help! Hen sick!

Armeria

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Lacey, my first chicken is sick! She is a silver-laced Wyandotte and will be a year old the first week of March. I have isolated her from the rest of the flock, by bringing her inside and putting her in a pin. She started looking weak on Thursday. I brought her in yesterday. The weather here as been rainy and humid the last few days. The temperature has been anywhere from 40-55. She has been really weak and hunched over. She hasn't eaten much, and drinks very little. She ate a meatball with rice last night, and some shaved turkey just now, she hasn't touched her feed since yesterday. She hasn't laid in several days (maybe 5?). Her droppings are white with a little liquid. She isn't standing up much. She lays sown and closes her eyes. She closes her eyes when she stands up too. Her comb looks dark red (like a dried strawberry) with a hint of white on part of it. I can't tell if her feathers are any more ruffled than usual, because she was injured by a rooster after rough, frequent mating. She just now started growing the fluff under her feathers back. I don't think she is having trouble breathing, but I don't know, I'm not very experienced. She doesn't talk unless we walk up and talk to her, and even then her voice is very weak. When she was outside, she stayed away from the other hens. I haven't cleaned their coop lately due to being busy with schoolwork, but the other hens seem fine. We think her crop is hard, but like I said, we aren't very experienced. Going to try olive oil and massage. Please someone help! She is a survivor, so please help me help her!

I would give her some sugar water first to try and get her energy up (if necessary, syringe into her beak) If her crop is hard and you know she hasn't really eaten it could well be impacted. So yes if I were you- Olive oil and massage- Do a good rub for a couple of minutes at a time to try and break this up. Olive oil will help with this. Do this a few times a day.
Try and get hold of live undyed white maggots (Bait or tackle shop) and give her as many as she will eat (after you have massaged)- If she will not eat them try and force a few into her beak (20-30) would be good. They do a fantastic job at working through the mass inside and will also provide her with much needed protein.
Good Luck

I realized what the crop was and it wasn't that hard, but think you so much. I'm going to focus on keeping her warm and trying to get her to eat.

Back
Top Bottom