Help! Hen w/injured foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsChickendad, Sep 11, 2008.

1. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    DH moved the chicken tractor this morning with the girls in the upstairs. When I went to check, one of the big girls was hanging by her foot, having gotten in caught in the wire that the oyster shell bucket was hanging from. I had quite a time getting her foot untangled and holding her up at the same time. No broken toes, but cut and slight bleeding. I sprayed it with antibiotic, gave her some amoxycillin liquid I had and isolated her in a pen by herself. The foot was starting to swell and she was limping badly. I don't know what else to doƑwas this ok? I am hoping the amoxycillin is ok; it was human quality, and the vet often prescribes it for our cats and dog. Should we dispose of her eggs? Any other suggestions/things to watch for? Thanks!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I think you did all the right things..now all you can do is wait and see. My little girl 6 weeks old was attacked by two dogs and has a sore little foot. This happened IN My house! I sure hope your little girls is ok. I would not eat the eggs for at least 2-3 weeks after the antibiotic was stopped...I could be wrong on this but someone else should chime in here too ;D Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by