*Help!! Hen was attacked!*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tripp16, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    This is Ethel, not my bird but my friends bird. She asked me to post a topic on here to ask you guys what you thought happened to her or what should be done to her.

She just hatched 3 chicks and lost one yesterday to a snake. She also was attacked by another rooster named Fred she fought a good war to save her babies! Her comb is now almost gone and her face looks raw, as you can see in the pictures. If you have ANY advice on what to do that would be great! My friend took her remaining two chicks from because Ethel looked to be in shock and wasnt taking the best care of them ( thats how one wasnt eaten by a snake [​IMG] )

What should we do??? Was she bitten by the snake?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sorry for bad resolution, she took them with her phone.....

3. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    Hard to tell if she was snake bit unless you find fang marks. I would separate her in a dog crate in a dim area and let her calm down, making sure she has food, water and maybe try to entice her with her favorite treat. Some folks will give a bit of gatorade or some such for shock. If she's not actively bleeding, I wouldn't put anything on her. I would consider putting her remaining baby in with her if she seems stressed to be separated from it - probably better for both of them. I don't know what you could do for snake bite, but the above can help if she is suffering from a good beat down from her roo. From the pix, it looks like he held her down and pecked the crap out of her. I don't keep roos, but personally, I wouldn't keep a roo that would do that kind of damage to a hen - he would be chilling at Camp Kenmore before the sun went down. Good luck with her and her chick.

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks the roo is not my friends. I think it is her neighbors. He hasnt been with her since! Thanks the advice!

5. kjkirk

kjkirk New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    I agree, if possible put her with her chicks in an area away from other chickens, roosters, or whatever else. Leave the area that has been injured alone unless it looks like it is starting to become infected then put some OTC antibiotic ointment on it. We had a hen get attacked by another hen and thats what we did. Hope she gets better soon.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    X2

7. actressbarbie

actressbarbie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    We had a hen get attacked by a stay dog. Pulled out alot of feathers, some minor skin damage. We treated with bactine and neosporin. She scabbed over and healed quick. We did house her separate from the others for a day to let her rest.
    Also had a hen tear her comb on the fence. Didn't bleed much so we watched her but left her alone. It healed by itself pretty quickly.

Good luck!

8. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Thanks for the advice. I reunited Ethel with her chicks and she seems to be doing fine. Her face is not as swollen but is still bright red. I really think once the feathers come back her face will be back to normal. Thanks to my friend for posting the pictures for me. I greatly appreciate the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by