Help ........Hen with blood on vent hole

Carlos F

Chirping
Jun 30, 2020
Myakka City, Florida
Just noticed my White Ameraucana had blood on her tail feathers. When I looked at her vent hole it looked raw and inflamed. The other girls were also pecking at it. Any ideas as to the cause?
IMG-0143.JPG

Just noticed my White Ameraucana had blood on her tail feathers. When I looked at her vent hole it looked raw and inflamed. The other girls were also pecking at it. Any ideas as to the cause?View attachment 2502754
The other girls pecking at it likely caused it.
Can you bring her in and give her a soak in a warm Epsom salt bath?
Once she's cleaned up take new pictures of her vent and post them here. If you have any triple antibiotic ointment, vetericyn spray, or another chicken antiseptic spray apply it to any injuries you see. She may need a little time to recuperate in a warm quiet place before she's returned to the flock.
How many other birds do you have?
How much space do they have?
What is your coop size in square feet, what is your run size in square feet?
What exactly are you feeding your birds?

Someone told me about the warm bath. My only concern the outside freezing temps make me worried about bringing her in and out of the house. I have a 3X4 chicken coup with 7X4 run. I have three chickens total. I was able to find a large enough that might fit inside the coop to separate her from the others. Feed is layer pellets, my own scratch made of wheat, oats, black oil seeds, and corn. Plus I grow my own meal worms

Someone told me about the warm bath. My only concern the outside freezing temps make me worried about bringing her in and out of the house. I have a 3X4 chicken coup with 7X4 run. I have three chickens total. I was able to find a large enough that might fit inside the coop to separate her from the others. Feed is layer pellets, my own scratch made of wheat, oats, black oil seeds, and corn. Plus I grow my own meal worms
She needs to be cleaned up, you might have to keep her inside for at least a few days if not longer.
Use a blow drier on her after her bath.
Keep her in a crate in the coolest room in the house.

I thought the same thing but then I will be bringing her out from 70° to 35° without a chance to acclimate.
She needs to be cleaned up, you might have to keep her inside for at least a few days if not longer.
Use a blow drier on her after her bath.
Keep her in a crate in the coolest room in the house.
You can acclimate her by cooling a room for her to stay in while she heals.

That’s like my Americuna chicken I found today not long ago..a couple of them just started laying..n the blood was running down

Attachments

• 0BFED12F-EECB-4E04-9741-D14619264443.jpeg
    0BFED12F-EECB-4E04-9741-D14619264443.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom