HELP- Hen with bloody neck! Maybe eye injury?

dixiehens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Gainesville Florida
Hello!
I have an Americana heb that has a bloody neck with exposed skin. I believe it is caused by new pecking order as I have been introducing two different flocks, one older and one younger. She is very small. If you can see the attached pictures, her right eye i believe had been pecked. She can open it just fine but has been closing it a lot. She cannot eat right now but can only drink. I mixed some high protein yogurt into her water to see if that helps and also have her in her own little area. She can fly and walk slowly. I have also been putting Neospiren in her exposed wounds. She seems to be very tired. What should I do? Thank you to anyone who responds!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 8
Poor thing...
Keep her in a quiet room, let he rest and recover.
Keep her away from the meanies until she heals.

Not so fun introducing two flocks huh?
Did you gradually introduce them to each other?

Poultry Protector is a tea-tree oil spray, it works well on all livestock injuries. Once it heals, you likely won't even know which one was injured. How long did the 2 flocks see each other before being integrated?

It sounds like you are doing the best you can.

If she will only drink and not eat at this time, add some poultry vitamins to her water. You may entice her to eat some chopped egg or tuna - sometimes an injured bird will take these. You can also give wet chick starter to see if that works, but hydration is #1.

She may have been pecked in the eye. Let her get over the initial stages of shock, to see if she will open it on her own, take a look at it. If needed, flush with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel to the eye if it looks like it needs it.

Poultry Protector is a tea-tree oil spray, it works well on all livestock injuries. Once it heals, you likely won't even know which one was injured. How long did the 2 flocks see each other before being integrated?
For about two weeks, The older ones free range so thy saw the younger chickens everyday, and sometimes I let them mingle, each flock has 6 chickens

It sounds like you are doing the best you can.

If she will only drink and not eat at this time, add some poultry vitamins to her water. You may entice her to eat some chopped egg or tuna - sometimes an injured bird will take these. You can also give wet chick starter to see if that works, but hydration is #1.

She may have been pecked in the eye. Let her get over the initial stages of shock, to see if she will open it on her own, take a look at it. If needed, flush with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel to the eye if it looks like it needs it.
Ok I will will try the chopped egg and take a look at the eye, She can open it but has trouble keeping it open.

Back
Top Bottom