Help! Hen with sliced comb

My pullet also had a pretty bad freak accident and her comb was almost completely torn off. She looked like she had a snood. I used a new razor and cut the rest off and used wet cornstarch to dab on the wound to keep it from bleeding. I just kept her to herself in a dog carrier and used saline to clean it. She healed enough to be put back with her flockmates in a week!View attachment 3661789
Does it hurt them and do they put up a fight and screech? I’m not sure if I have to guts to do it!

It did hurt her but her comb was impeding her vision and needed to be removed. Most of it was already dead and I didn’t like seeing it. I wrapped her up in a towel and held her while I had someone else (who was way less squeamish) cut it off.
Your girl still has a ton of comb left that is still healthy tissue so I think letting it run its course would be fine.

It did hurt her but her comb was impeding her vision and needed to be removed. Most of it was already dead and I didn’t like seeing it. I wrapped her up in a towel and held her while I had someone else (who was way less squeamish) cut it off.
Your girl still has a ton of comb left that is still healthy tissue so I think letting it run its course would be fine.
Okay, thank you. I have ordered some vetericyn and it’s due to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully that helps it heal and keep clean!

my girl did that too, tore the back half of her comb off sticking her fool head through the chicken wire. It looked horrible but healed just fine. Your hen looks the same, I’d let it be and just spray with Vetrycin. No need to cut it off.
1” X 1” wire isn’t big enough for her to put her head through.

Last edited:
my girl did that too, tore the back half of her comb off stocking her fool head through the chicken wire. It looked horrible but healed just fine. Your hen looks the same, I’d let it be and just spray with Vetrycin. No need to cut it off.
1” X 1” wire isn’t big enough for her to put her head through.
Here’s my girl now, the back half of her comb does go grey on occasion but she’s doing well otherwise’

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 8
Little update. I have got veterycin and will spray the wound 2x a day. It has rained today so helped wash all her head feathers. I took some more pictures that show the wound a lot clearer. I’m pretty sure that the dark bit is dying and will fall off eventually

Attachments

• D4BEE465-717C-4387-9FA7-0E77E2695CBB.png
    D4BEE465-717C-4387-9FA7-0E77E2695CBB.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 2A5599B2-3DB3-4CFD-A8FC-3928E4A45A65.jpeg
    2A5599B2-3DB3-4CFD-A8FC-3928E4A45A65.jpeg
    614.5 KB · Views: 3
  • CC6E51F2-BC8A-440D-A585-D2DF34AE68EA.jpeg
    CC6E51F2-BC8A-440D-A585-D2DF34AE68EA.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom