Help! Henn is waddling

i just read somewhere here today that this could be a symptom of a bound egg. If you search you will probably find the info.
I thought it was that and put her in epsom Salk warm water and there hasn’t been any change. It’s been about two weeks

Could you pick her up and check the undersides of her feet and legs for bumble foot and injuries?
Is she displaying any other symptoms?
I’m not sure if she is laying because I have 13 other hens but i getting one egg every now and then that is 1/3 of a regular egg and it is all white. No yolk. I’m guessing it is her.

Hey there. I'm having the same issue with one of mine. Waddles and has a bloated abdomen. She consistently has a messy backside & her poo is really green & textured. I've soaked her also with no change. Gave her calcium... She's eating and drinking and ranging. I have no idea what to do either. I really don't think its an egg. I didn't feel one anywhere while soaking her.
I've read tons, videos etc....
I'm afraid it's water belly.

Unfortunately reproductive problems are not uncommon in laying hens, especially over the age of two. If it were egg binding then the inability to pass the egg would result in death within a couple of days usually. Other conditions would be internal laying, salpingitis, reproductive cancers, EYP, etc. all of which can cause a bloated abdomen especially in advanced stages. The bloating can put a lot of pressure on internal organs and air sacs causing difficulty with passing food through the digestive tract, pooing or with breathing. Sometimes it can cause a complete blockage. Ascites can accompany any of these conditions, as well as liver or heart failure, ascites is fluid build up from a liver that cannot keep up with what else is going on in the body. Often the symptoms of the various conditions can be very similar and the definitive answer is unknown until necropsy. Most of the time once a hen has developed ascites or major bloating there is not much that can be done other than keeping them comfortable and making the decision to end their suffering when it becomes necessary. Draining of acites fluid can sometimes make them more comfortable for a time, but it will likely recur since the underlying condition is still present. Draining also carries some amount of risk of shock, which can itself be fatal, if too much is drained too quickly. If vet care is an option then they may be able to narrow down the cause, but often, as said before, it's not known until necropsy. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom