Help- Hens are roosting in the wrong spot!!!

christinamae5

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Black Hills, South Dakota
I'm not sure what to do! My coop is designed so that I have a hole in the floor of the coop going to the underside where I keep their food and water. It so far has been a great design in that the weather stays out of the coop and it stays draft free in these cold SD winters. My hens have been roosting on their roosts since they got in the coop, about a year ago. Now all of a sudden they are all roosting around the hole (it has a frame of 2x4 nailed to the floor around the hole to keep the sand that's in the bottom of the coop in). How can I get them to go back to roosting high without covering the hole???? In the pic below, you can see the ramp on the underside of the coop. PS- I also have a large 2'x3' door on the opposite side of the nesting boxes used for cleaning out the coop- thought I might be able to prop that open, but the girls can fly down but can't get back inside- it's too high!

Lots of folks use 2x4's for roosts. It may be that those 2x4's surrounding the opening are just too inviting.

It may be that there's better ventilation right by the opening (can't tell from the pic if there's any ventilation at all). How often do you clean the coop in the winter? Is it possible the girls are simply looking for fresh air?

If the girls have a clean living space and aren't sleeping in their own poop, they're probably ok.

That could be the case. The door in the floor is 12 x 12 and it is open all the time. The 'clean out door' is 2'x3' and is hardware cloth, but is currently partially covered to keep blowing snow out. I had it open all summer, but they were getting snow piled inside their coop, so covered it.....

I think adding a side vent would be hard to do with the siding, but maybe....??? How would I do that????

Also, I could add a roof vent- that may be the best option for keeping out weather and letting in fresh air. Guess I built it TOO draft-free! Ha Ha Ha!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

That could be the case. The door in the floor is 12 x 12 and it is open all the time. The 'clean out door' is 2'x3' and is hardware cloth, but is currently partially covered to keep blowing snow out. I had it open all summer, but they were getting snow piled inside their coop, so covered it.....

I think adding a side vent would be hard to do with the siding, but maybe....??? How would I do that????

Also, I could add a roof vent- that may be the best option for keeping out weather and letting in fresh air. Guess I built it TOO draft-free! Ha Ha Ha!

I'd put a vent at the highest point above the nests.
If that creates a strong draft on the roost you can add a baffle inside to redirect it.

If your coop is too tightly built than your coop will hold the ammonia's and other harmful stuffs their poop produces. If your not ventilated well you should scoop poop daily. And I would personally not use sand in my coop. That is their house not the playground. You should use (in my opinion) wood shavings. They absorb some of the poop liquid and smell. This will help.
Also if you don't want them roosting on something. Make it uncomfortable for them to roost on. I use a small piece of poultry wire rounded over. It doesn't hurt the flock, it makes it (like I said) uncomfortable for them to stand or sleep on. They will move. This is all just my opinion. Hope you work it out with your flock.

use a drimmal (sp) or skill saw and cut 3/4"inside the vent. Screw it on and then cut the excess off inside so they don't hurt anyone. just a thought

. Now all of a sudden they are all roosting around the hole (it has a frame of 2x4 nailed to the floor around the hole to keep the sand that's in the bottom of the coop in). How can I get them to go back to roosting high without covering the hole????
Chickens like to roost in the highest place available as a rule. Sometimes even when this is provided they dance to a different drummer.

Back
Top Bottom