HELP!!! Hens dying and now noticed this....

apmomma

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 3, 2010
Northern Colorado
Okay, I had posted that we thought the Roo was responsible for killing two of our hens(he is now quarantined to a dog crate inside the coop)...well, now this morning I've noticed one of our Buff Oripintons has a cough... any ideas what might be going on, will my buff be the next to die? Is the coughing something that my other two could've had and could've caused their sudden deaths?? I'm freaking out, I don't want anymore of the girls to die!

sounds like a respiratory illness. Look up respiratory disease in the search engine, you will find some info. that may help you. At least isolate the coughing hen from the others and wash your hands in between handling one hen to another, to help stop the spread. Keep them warm and fed and some electrolyte solution might help. I have never had a sick hen yet so my knowledge is limited. good luck

i'm not sure i've ever heard a chicken cough. How is her breathing? Is it raspy? Is there any nasal discharge? Need a little more information. But if you have a respiratory issue, Tylan is the best thing for it. You can get it as an injectible, which can also be given orally, or water soluble and put it in the water. i'm terrible at injections and shooting it down the throat the wrong way can make a hen aspirate and give her pneumonia. So for me, the water soluble is the best.

A few of my chickens have developed the raspy breathing, especially at night. I have a bottle of injectible Tylan 50 that I keep on hand, just for this sort of thing. (We lost a hen to the same thing a few years ago, before I knew about Tylan).

If the chickens don't have the raspy for gurgly breathing, just give them water soluble antibiotic in their water for 5-7 days. You can also give them VetRx for poultry. Put some on their combs, wattles, beak, nares, and under the wings. I even give them 3 drops a day, in their beak.

Good luck on your sick chickies.

Angie

Now it sounds more like a sneeze to me, and looks like a sneeze...but that's the only symptom, no weird poop, no drainage from her eyes, she's walking around drinking and eating with the others.

I did a search and it sounds as though sneezing can be nothing to worry about...maybe she just has a piece of dust in her sinus or? Besides the frequent sneezing, she's carrying on normally.
I'm just super paranoid after losing two hens in the last week.

Maybe she has something in her airway she's trying to clear out by sneezing, but in light of your other problems I would be looking more closely at her symptoms.

CMV, thanks, we are keeping a close watch on her and she really seems to be acting perfectly normal, even laid an egg today I'm pretty sure..we will continue to keep a close eye on her and hope it's just a coincidence this is all happening at the same time..

Back
Top Bottom