Help! Hens laying all over the yard!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jnareed, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jnareed

jnareed New Egg

Jul 27, 2010
    My hens just started laying about a week ago. The problem is, not one egg has been in the nest boxes. I have found 3 in the coop, but the other 17 we have found have been all over the yard! In window wells, under the deck, inthe middle of the yard, you name it. So, is there anything I can do to get them to lay in the nest boxes? Or at least to contain the eggs to the run or coop?

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    you could lock them in the coop for a few days maybe they would see one use the nestbox and the rest would follow.

3. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Keep them in the coop until they lay each morning until they get the habit of laying in the boxes. Use fake eggs to draw them to the boxes.

4. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Yup---

Try the fake egg/golfball trick.

Also, if you have room to lock them in a coop for a day or two, that also may help.

My experience has been the hens all want to lay eggs in the same place. My girls have eight nest boxes, but they
    all want to use the same one.

Silly, but cute.

Good luck.

5. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Yep, lockdown and throw a few golf balls into the nest boxes. They probably don't know what/where their boxes are.

6. HerAlterEgo

HerAlterEgo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Marion, TX
    I had a similar problem. They kept laying in grassy areas that hadn't been weed-eated along the fenceline. So on a whim, I threw a couple big handfuls of hay in the coop where I wanted them to nest. Now they get very vocal if the coop door isn't open for them to lay in the hay at their convenience. It's cute as heck.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:yep

8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with all about lock them up for a while.

I would locked them up for a week and only let them out for an hour or two right before dust. They should have laid any eggs by then.

9. HopeMissouri

HopeMissouri Out Of The Brooder

My first thought when I read the topic heading: "...Hens laying all over the yard!" Was there had been a massacre. Whew! Good news! Hens are laying EGGS all over the yard.

So you're kind of having an Easter Egg hunt everyday?

<Sorry, I have nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to add. Just struck me as kind of fun to have a celebration everyday!>

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by