Help! Hens Not laying...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jaredlaine, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jaredlaine

jaredlaine New Egg

Feb 22, 2017
    Hello! I am in need of advice. August 5th of last year I purchased a few 4 month old Ameraucana hens and 1 2 year old laying hen. However, when I brought them home the 2 year old stopped laying, and the others still have not started. Is this normal? The other 7 hens that I already had stopped for a few months over the winter but are now laying again daily.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under jaredlaine [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with CTKen that the Chicken Behaviours and Egg Laying Forum is probably your best starting point.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    adding new birds to the flock can be very stressful to all concerned. When they feel secure again they should start laying especially since spring is around the corner. You adult hen may be feeling stress because of their "invasion." If they are not hostile to each other - things should normalize sooner.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, jaredlaine, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I also agree with the posts above. Hope your hens start up production again soon. Best wishes and thanks joining BYC!

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good advice so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by