HELP? Hen's or Roo's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dodson, May 19, 2011.

1. dodson

dodson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hello Forum Family! Coloraod Springs Newbie's here!

Ok, we bought 5 Sliver Laced Wyandotte pullets from the feed store and they are now about 9 weeks old. 4 of them have small combs coming in and one does not show any sign of comb. I read somewhere (not sure where) that SLW roo's get combs "later" than hen's I am really praying this is so, but hey...they are chickens and ya never know.

Can you guys give me any input?

Chicken # 1 - Georgia ( this one has a comb sticking up)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken # 2 - Lou ( this one has a flat spot where the comb should be)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken # 3 - Maxine (she has a small comb like # 1)

[​IMG]

Here are all 5 girl (or boys...or both) together in the brooder space!

[​IMG]

Also, how soon would you start seeing spurs? They all have little nubs, but they are all about the same.

Any help will be appreciated!!!!

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Chicken #2 does have a comb. She [​IMG] has a rose comb like Wyandottes should have. I can't tell from the pics what you've got but hopefully someone more experienced will see this and be able to help. Best wishes and [​IMG]

You might be interested in this about Wyandottes... http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Wow interesting chicks.....I have no idea but I wanted to tell you they are cute anyway. Wish I could help but I am new at this too. I also am in the springs.

4. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    They all look like hens to me.
    [​IMG]

5. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Im not familiar with this breed, but for 9 weeks I would say they all look like girls to me!!

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I'd say girls at this point but it is very odd for you to have SLW's with single combs, these all should be like bird #2, it's not rare but odd to see several with a single comb.

Nothing says roo yet, I have 2 11 week old pullets that look very similar to yours, minus the single combs.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, SLWs should have rose combs, but the single combs are pretty common as well. I've heard something about fertility with them. SLW are also difficult to sex. Right now, I'd say 5 pullets (based on the shot of everyone together). Wait a few weeks and see how they grow. GOod luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by