HELP! Her neck was stuck on the hinge

queenie_29

Chirping
Aug 11, 2021
NSW, Australia
Hi, I went out to shut the girls away and our SLW had her neck caught in the hinge of the gate. She kicked and managed to flap off as I went outside and she landed and rolled a bit. We have picked her up and brought her inside and she is finally standing up. She just did a pretty solid poo but her beak is wide open and she is panting. Please help as soon as possible, any advice is appreciated on what we should do to help her

Hi. It's waaaaay past my bedtime, but I'll do what I can.

What exactly is her injury? An open wound?
Thanks, there is no visible injury, we think she's just in of shock. She's having a nap right now and we tried to give her some sugar water, but she didn't really want any. She's holding her wings out really far but we're not sure if it's because she's too hot or because of something else.

She probably is in shock. Poor thing! I've not had a chicken go into shock like that, but I know from others here that they should be kept in a quiet, dark place. The sugar water is a good idea. So is NutriDrench if you have it.

I have no idea why her wings are out. Exhaustion, maybe?

Hi, I went out to shut the girls away and our SLW had her neck caught in the hinge of the gate. She kicked and managed to flap off as I went outside and she landed and rolled a bit. We have picked her up and brought her inside and she is finally standing up. She just did a pretty solid poo but her beak is wide open and she is panting. Please help as soon as possible, any advice is appreciated on what we should do to help her
Sounds like shock.
You will know in a day or so if there's any lasting results from getting hung up. The PND is good a idea.
I've had a door shut on a bird's neck before, it took her a little while to come about right. I left her with the flock since it was early in the day and just watched her for a while.

Hope you find your girl is fine this morning.

Sounds like shock.
You will know in a day or so if there's any lasting results from getting hung up. The PND is good a idea.
I've had a door shut on a bird's neck before, it took her a little while to come about right. I left her with the flock since it was early in the day and just watched her for a while.

Hope you find your girl is fine this morning.
Thanks so much for your help. She is doing much better, however for the past few days she has just sat in the nesting box. We have tried giving her mushed up food (we mixed it with water and left it to absorb), but she isn't much a fan of this. She will eat some yoghurt, and this afternoon we tried oats. She will also eat some cooked liver, but not loads of it.

Generally we bring her inside for a bit and she eats lots, and then we put her back outside and she will go and scratch around/dust bathe for around 30 mins and then she runs straight back to the nest box.

She is top of the pecking order, and she is so sweet and friendly so please let me know what we can do to help her get back on her feet.

Will she not eat her normal feed?

She may have suffered more damage - she can walk around ok?
She will eat her normal feed mixed with water so it’s more of a paste type thing. When we lift her out of the nesting box she will sit all puffed up on the ground for a minute or so, and then she will get up and have a scratch around for maybe 10 mins, and then peg it back to the nest box.

She will eat her normal feed mixed with water so it’s more of a paste type thing. When we lift her out of the nesting box she will sit all puffed up on the ground for a minute or so, and then she will get up and have a scratch around for maybe 10 mins, and then peg it back to the nest box.
Sounds like she might be broody too??

Can you get a picture of her puffed up?

Back
Top Bottom