Help! How can I process these drakes?

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I have about 8 drakes that need to go but the problem is that they live on bare land with no access to utilities. There were delays with getting my manufactured house out there (thanks covid) and the time has come to process these boys but I don't have a way to boil water to pluck them. My neighbor has given me access to his hose so I can get water but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. I should add that I have never butchered a bird before.

Here's what I'm thinking and you tell me if it sounds like a good idea:

Bring a cooler full of ice, a big bucket for rinse water, branch loppers for removing the head, a knife and scissors, and a big canning pot to go over a camp fire up on cinderblocks to scald before plucking. Then I would cut off their head, let them drain excess blood, dip them in the pot of water around 155 degrees for a minute or so, pluck them, rinse in the rinse bucket, then cut out the vent and remove the insides, rinse again, and then into the ice cooler, then take them to my apartment and bag and freeze them. Can I freeze them right away and let rigor pass when I defrost them (just let them sit and extra day in the fridge before cooking)?

Alternatively I could just behead them and then do all that other stuff in my apartment but I have read that it stinks and my family may object to the smells in the apartment....

Thoughts? I need advice from some experts! Thank you in advance!!

I have about 8 drakes that need to go but the problem is that they live on bare land with no access to utilities. There were delays with getting my manufactured house out there (thanks covid) and the time has come to process these boys but I don't have a way to boil water to pluck them. My neighbor has given me access to his hose so I can get water but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. I should add that I have never butchered a bird before.

Here's what I'm thinking and you tell me if it sounds like a good idea:

Bring a cooler full of ice, a big bucket for rinse water, branch loppers for removing the head, a knife and scissors, and a big canning pot to go over a camp fire up on cinderblocks to scald before plucking. Then I would cut off their head, let them drain excess blood, dip them in the pot of water around 155 degrees for a minute or so, pluck them, rinse in the rinse bucket, then cut out the vent and remove the insides, rinse again, and then into the ice cooler, then take them to my apartment and bag and freeze them. Can I freeze them right away and let rigor pass when I defrost them (just let them sit and extra day in the fridge before cooking)?

Alternatively I could just behead them and then do all that other stuff in my apartment but I have read that it stinks and my family may object to the smells in the apartment....

Thoughts? I need advice from some experts! Thank you in advance!!
No you need to let them sit 5+ days in the fridge so they’re tender before you freeze them.

Ok so do plan 1 but store it in the fridge for 5 days before freezing?

Do one first, Ducks need to be processed at the right time,or you get so many pin feathers you can't believe it. If it takes a long time to pluck, or if when you feel them before you begin heating up the water and there are lots of sharp pin feathers, you won't need to pluck, just skin them. Lots of guys here skin them, I like the skin a lot so I pluck. Pekin ducks need to be the right age, 7-8 weeks is the first window of opportunity.

Do one first, Ducks need to be processed at the right time,or you get so many pin feathers you can't believe it. If it takes a long time to pluck, or if when you feel them before you begin heating up the water and there are lots of sharp pin feathers, you won't need to pluck, just skin them. Lots of guys here skin them, I like the skin a lot so I pluck. Pekin ducks need to be the right age, 7-8 weeks is the first window of opportunity.
If I'm just going to do 1 then I could probably get away with doing it in the apartment (windows open and fan running). Right? I like the skin too so plucking really is my goal!

Back
Top Bottom