Help! How do I keep rat snakes out of my coop?

LeeBeeN1954

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
I'm a newbie backyard chickener and have just killed a large rat snake in my coop who consumed two of my three-week old chicks. I have a good idea how this one got inside the coop and am taking extra precautions to make sure it doesn't happen again. What I would like some advice on is how to keep snakes out of the area. I have been told that moth balls placed around the perimeter of the coop and yard should keep them out. Does anyone know if this will work...will they be harmful to other pets (cats, dogs) or the chickens? Once my chickens are old enough to go outside, I'm afraid the snakes will enter the coop through the chickens' door and get eggs. I can't stand guard with my shotgun and shovel 24/7, so I need a way to keep the snakes out of my yard. Thanks for your help!

I've only found a few snakes in my barn and around my coops. If I had a real good, sure fire answer I'd be happy to share it, but unfortunately I don't.

I have 5 guinea fowl that are suppose to be snake killers, but the one big rat snake I found was in the barn where all 5 guineas were perched.
hmm.png
I gave them the benefit of the doubt, as it was after dark and they were all roosted for the night.

I also have 5 cats that patrol, but the same night I saw the snake, I saw 2 mice in the barn...nobody's doing there job around here!
barnie.gif

I saw somewhere that minnow traps are good for catching snakes, they crawl in and can't crawl out. You could get a couple and place them along the wall or fence at the coop where you think the snake got in, and perhaps catch them. I'm thinking of getting a couple. The article said they're like $12.00 each at Walmart.

Good luck!

I wish snakes was what i had lol they are the lowest rank predator the most easy to deal with. Like above said even most cats will chase them off. I am getting tired of Coons and coywolves that might show up if my dogs are not there.

I think its the more wild type of guineafowl that kill snakes. The ones that are too domestic wont do anything.

Last edited:
To be honest, I had a rat snake last Spring. My rooster and chickens had him cornered and rolled up in a ball protecting his head. I don't kill snakes, so I called a guy who came and picked him up. Since then the rats have multiplied. I just texted the "snake guy" to bring him or one of his relatives back. I don't have chicks to worry about, so there's that. I've tried everything to get rid of the rats sans poison. They turn their noses up at the $100 or so dollars spent on Zappers and don't touch the old Victor traps no matter the bait I put in them. I don't want to use the audio blaster I bought b/c they'll just run from the barn and garage to under my house. So, in the end, I would much prefer the snake. Did I mention that picking up the chicken feed at the end of the day doesn't work either? I have pecan trees all around, so the rats are well fed and housed. Like squirrels, they eat nuts.

Either move the pen somewhere else or just kill them when you see them all you can really do. People that say don’t kill them have never had a snake problem. I’ve had years where I killed upwards of 20-30 out of one of my pens alone. Once they find the eggs, chicks or small bantams there just goin to keep comin back.

Attachments

• FF3A72CE-56D4-4C35-9EE1-A12FAB70E3DC.jpeg
    FF3A72CE-56D4-4C35-9EE1-A12FAB70E3DC.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 5
  • F85A0474-7368-43EC-B8D5-54E5B74FCD9E.jpeg
    F85A0474-7368-43EC-B8D5-54E5B74FCD9E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • EACB8362-A192-47B2-89CE-5BA8CCBADD22.jpeg
    EACB8362-A192-47B2-89CE-5BA8CCBADD22.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 5
  • B7C42C25-111F-42F4-AEF2-B65F1AC67AA4.jpeg
    B7C42C25-111F-42F4-AEF2-B65F1AC67AA4.jpeg
    491.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 06EF7D10-8A7E-48A9-8C89-78BE51815441.png
    06EF7D10-8A7E-48A9-8C89-78BE51815441.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
It is too late once the snakes have discovered eggs and chicks but what draws them to your coop initially is the rats and mice. Solve that problem before you have snakes is the best advice. Once there they are easier to fence out than the rodents themselves assuming the birds are kept cooped up.

Good feeders are expensive but so is not having one.

Back
Top Bottom