HELP HOW DO I TREAT THEIR INJURIES

countrygirl4513

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Portland TN
My other post Day of Death... please read and help if you can.
How do I treat puncture wounds? I don't know how to help them. Do I leave it and let it heal from the inside out, what do I do?

countrygirl.....clena the wound with water...then apply some neosporin....this should help with the healing and fight bacteria. I sure hope they are all ok...let us know!

Try calling a vet, those avian (spelling?) vets. They should at least give you some advise. That's all I can think of, sorry.

For puncture wounds, I would not only clean and treat with Neosporin topically, which is an excellent idea, I would start oral antibiotics. Birds can go septic from the bacteria in mammals mouths, especially with a puncture wound.

Can you keep the wounded that need treatment separate from the rest of your flock, for treatment and to make sure their wounds don't get picked at by the other birds?

I would lock your chickens up in their coop at night and ask for suggestions in the building section on making your run more secure, since dog attacks can happen during the day, just as easily as at night.

Don't give up hope on all of the missing. Some may still come back. I'm really sorry this happened and I hope your wounded birds recover.
hugs.gif

You can put honey on the wounds--RAW, unfiltered honey. Cover with gauze and use vet wrap to secure the dressing in place.

Baytril is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic for chickens. One of my roosters just finished a 2-week course of 22.5 mg tablets taken 2x/day. That dosage was based on his weight (10 lbs). It cost $29 for 28 pills, in case you're wondering.

What a shame your sister's dog got your chickens. I'm really sorry.
Stephanie

I've had chickens bitten by foxes and they've all recovered, I just kept them quiet and made sure they were eating/drinking OK. The honey seems a good idea - my friend keeps bees in my garden and we use it for all sorts of things!!

Back
Top Bottom