Help! How much do we feed our pullet?

NumbleNuggets

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Citrus Heights, CA
I know this is a TOTAL rookie question, but a pullet showed up on our back patio and won't leave. So now we are looking at keeping it for egg laying, but are unsure of how much layer feed to give her daily. She forages constantly for bugs and munches on plants from our garden, but we don't know how much she should do this (can she do only that?). Thanks MUCH!

I have the big feed holders and just feed them when they get close to empty, I really am not sure how much each eat a day but I am sure if you try to do a search someone has answered that question before.

Ok I found some info in a old post and copied it for you. Hope this helps. I also forgot to say
welcome-byc.gif
!!!

Let's just say that you have 50 standard chickens total. And, your 3 bags are 150 pounds of feed each week. That's 150 pounds divided between 50 chickens = 3 pounds for each chicken for a week. That is 3 pounds divided by 7 days = .43 pounds for each chicken for each day.

I wouldn't be surprised if my Australorp & Barred Rock hens are eating more than this.

You don't have 50 standards, you have 40 standards, 40 bantams, and 2 turkeys. I think the 2 turkeys and 40 bantams more than make up for 10 more standards.

Your bantams are 1/4 the size of a standard (actually, you've got some really tiny breeds). Maybe you could expect them to eat only 1/4 of what a standard chicken eats. If so, 40 bantams = 10 standards.

Back
Top Bottom