Help....How soon can I give Poly-vi-sol?

needmorechickens!

Songster
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
West TN
I have a baby chick that had to have some help to hatch....it is still in the 'bator, it is alive, breathing, moving some...barely opening its eyes sometimes, but acts like it doesn't have any energy...hasn't got up on its feet yet...I know it may not make it and probably wasn't meant to since I had to help it, but if I want to try...how soon can I give it some poly-vi-sol at the beak? Do you mix it with any water at all or just full strength? Any other advice?
Any help would be appreciated!
hmm.png

~Rebecca

I've used it on a two day old. I really hate it, but the wisest answer is not to give it anything. If it can't survive the hatch, it won't thrive. That being said, I would probably try to save it and kick myself later when I end up with a sickly chick.

Many times if the chick "has to have help to hatch", it means that there is already a problem with the chick. That's likely why it wouldn't hatch on it's own.

If the yolk has been absorbed, then that is all the chick needs for at least 24-48 hours. I wouldn't try to give poly-vi-sol right now. You can put some drops in the waterer so when the chick begins to drink water, it will get some vitamins.

It will takes many hours...even up to 24 hours...for the chick to get on it's feet and start moving around much. The best thing you can do right now is leave it in the bator and let it rest quietly while it gains strength.

ok so far I haven't given anything...I am at work...my DH was home earlier and he said the chick has been trying to stand, so it is hopeful! I will know more when I get home....cross your fingers for my chick!
fl.gif

~Rebecca

Ok I'm home and my chickie is becoming fuzzy
lol.png
and is moving around more. It is still pretty tired.
roll.png

I think it may make it!
~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom