Help! How to keep injured hen calm and quiet

aknewlin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
I need help in keeping an injured hen quiet and still.

I posted yesterday to get advice on treating some bad gashes on a hen that go through to the muscle and fat. We are treating her (so far, so good), but now my problem is keeping her calm and quiet. She thinks she is fine and acts like nothing is wrong, but the injuries are pretty graphic and long (her back and down one side under the wing) and they will take quite some weeks to heal.

We have her in a dog kennel inside, and we've been keeping it covered with a blanket to make it dark, but she won't hold still. She keeps trying to get out and won't rest all day. She is constantly trying to fit through the little spaces between the metal bars.

We thought she might want to stretch her legs, but she goes right for glass door and tries to get outside. She even flapped up to the couch and was pecking at the window to get out. We brought her some other chickens to visit inside, but she ignored them and continued to try and go out. We put her right back in the dog kennel, because I know that being as still as possible is really important for the gashes to heal, but she won't hold still.

I've just moved her from the kitchen to my daughter's bedroom (it will be quieter, so maybe better).

Has anyone else have this problem, and how did you handle it? My other chickens just sat still and enjoyed the spa treatment when they recovered from anything. I want to make it as easy as possible for this hen because this is going to be a long few weeks of healing, and this is only the third day.

If you make it as dark as possible in the room, she should quiet down. You may need to cover the windows with a heavy blanket. If her wounds are not bleeding, it will not hurt her to move around some. She will only need light to eat two or three times a day.

Thanks! I'm hoping that moving her to the back bedroom will help, along with the blanket.

She is not bleeding, so it is good to hear that it's okay that she is moving some.

My other chickens that were inside loved the extra tlc and being inside. This one acts like it's a prison sentence, lol!

Back
Top Bottom