Help, How to smooch up to my chickens?

PS: Chickens are prey animals - they don't like being stared at directly in the eye. Keep shifting your eyes from them to the ground etc. Never ever stare - predators stare - prey looks all around but never stares at you - you must make them understand you are prey like them and not a predator. This works great with wild horses - and works with any prey animal - never stare them down divert your eyes and look around.

Thanks for all your insight about this situation. My chickens used to trust me, as I always had lots of help when I was getting the seed out. Not to mention, they'd be at the gate and follow in the truck. Sigh. Lessons learned the hard way!!!

It really makes sense about chickens being prey animals and need to feel safe. Twice I have accidentally startled hens off their nest (they were really hidden and I didn't see them until on top of them) and off they ran squawking, never to return to the nest.

Should I take all the eggs out of the nest boxes or leave them? Should I add more hay? Maybe move the boxes to different locations? I know a few days ago there were hens sitting on both nests. In fact, a few weeks ago when I put out the boxes, I had hens checking them out within a few minutes. Yesterday the eggs were cold.

I don't have a place to lock up the chickens. These have always been free range, and sleep in the cottonwood trees at night. I am ready with hoop coops for hen/chicks, but not sure if I'll ever get any. !!!!

I will go down in the morning and feed and sit with them. Patience is a virtue. Thanks again for all your help.

Everyone is right about earning their trust, it does make it harder that you are not there with them all the time.

I have had a few incidents with unruly kids chasing my birds, but when I go out to stop the nonsense, my birds come running to me for safety.....I AM the crazy chicken lady, and my birds are so spoiled they should smell bad,LOL!

Try the melons, watermelon works wonders for shmoosing birds, they LOOOOVE it!

Take a few halved watermelons out there, set them out, and set nearby, still and calm and wait to see if they come for them.
It is going to take time to earn their trust back.

They say that chickens have small brains and have short memory spans....this proves that theory all wrong.

I have a roo that my daughter likes to tease, and he will run from her.....however, 3 days later when she goes in the coop to get eggs, he waits, and he will corner her in the coop and have his revenge....with me standing outside snickering for a few moments, before going in to "rescue" her.
This sounds mean, but he wont hurt her, just scares her, like she scared him, LOL.

Chickens are "routine" animals, now they have to get back in the routine of normalcy after the demon child broke that pattern...even if it was one moment, they remember.

Just like Pepperidge Farm, they remembuh!
LOL
Sorry the daemon spawn scared your birdies...I think I would kicked her and mom...

Just like everyone else said...let them settle down and lavish treats on them.

WOW, great insight. I really appreciate all your help. Yesterday when I drove in the birds were like, HEY it's the truck, YIPPEE and came flapping over. I got out and they were, UH OH, it's HER again. But I did have some help getting their food. Some were better than others.

Today, my co-owner went and fed. She called to report they all walked her in "as usual" and since it was raining, they all "had lunch" in the carport together. You are right, they are habit animals. I know they have mash down, but the "feeding" time is routine. As it's getting warmer now, they're busy digging up things and not as hungry as when it's cold.

I will do the watermelon if I can find one. (Also, been reading the egg-eating postings--and have that problem.) Will fix up some rice/egg treats for them as well.

Thawed out frozen sweet corn. Not the most nutritious, but will thaw the heart of the frostiest chicken. Day 1, throw some down where they can see you. Repeat days 2 and 3. Day 4, throw some down and don't leave (stand a couple yards away). Stand there till they come get it. Repeat days 5 and 6. Day 7, pile it up and sit down a couple feet away. Sit there till they're done. Day 8, put some on the ground in the pile, and some in your hand. Consecutive days, make the pile on the ground smaller, and the pile in your hand bigger. They probably won't come for it at first. Keep it up till they eat it out of your hand. They will- they can't resist. The sweet corn own their tiny little souls.
lau.gif

I have read that it is better to 1/4 rather then 1/2 any round food if you just 1/2 they have a tendency to roll over to the flat side thereby only leaving the less desirable rind showing....

Back
Top Bottom