HELP!!! hurt chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sheila83, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Sheila83

Sheila83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    i was moving my chicks from the brooder to my tractor and I noticed one of them had a cut! what do i do!!!

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Don't panic, it doesn't look that bad. Use some warm, soapy water and a cloth to clean the wound and surrounding area. Then, apply some antibiotic ointment (with no "caine/cain" ingredients) to the wound. Before you re-introduce the chick, it would be best if you disguised the wound with some sort of wound/disinfectant spray, like Bluekote--otherwise, the other chicks may peck at the red.

I'd watch the chick carefully for the next few days, for any signs of infection (swelling, discharge, etc.), and make sure it doesn't get picked on. However, it should recover fine.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Looks like it is not actively bleeding. If you have bluekote spray the area to keep others from pecking. If you don't ( and I didn't when mine were small) try blotting with hydrogen peroxide - it masks the blood.

I'm not trying to be critical, but this chick looks too young to move to a tractor. Keep her/him in a protected environment til this resolves.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Fortunately, it doesn't look like a bad cut. I'd make sure that it is clean, using some warm water. Next, put some antibiotic ointment on. Don't use antibiotic ointment with any "caine" ingredients or painkillers, as these can be deadly to chickens.

Make sure to keep her separate from the other birds until this heals. Birds will peck at blood and red color, and she could be injured more.

Best wishes to you and your chick!

5. Sheila83

Sheila83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    They are 3 weeks old. That's when I always put them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by