Help hurt chicken!!!

slambo21

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 13, 2013
Hello all I need some advice on our chicken. Yesterday we had an attack and lost three chickens and one was hurt she has a nasty cut on the side of her face that we cleaned the best we could considering it was near her eye. She has poor balance and can't stand very well she ends up falling over her wings don't seem to be broken I am not sure About her legs she has movement in them but like I said she can't stand. She seems to be eating and drinking although it is difficult for her she is trying I am new at this and this is my first time dealing with a hurt chicken so I am just not sure what I should and shouldn't do. She is currently inside our house in a box with a blanket under her and food and water near by is there anything else I can do? Thanks all!

They tend to go into shock when they are attacked, so it sounds like you are doing the right things. Keep her in a large dog crate or box, keep her warm, give her some scrambled eggs mashed up to eat with her chicken feed, clean water. Try to keep her calm (no loud noise or activity around her) and put a bit of neosporin ointment on her cut. If she is bleeding, put pressure on it for a few minutes until it clots. When she is better, take some Blu-kote or blue food coloring and dab her wound, so that the chickens won't peck her red cut. I have had a few chickens roughed up by a dog, 2 did fine, but the one with fewer feathers missing died within an hour. I hope she makes it.

Thank you so much for the advice I am a good feeling considering she has already made it 24 hours and seems a little better than she did yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom