Help! Hurt mallard!

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
I have a male mallard that I found like this today. Not sure what happened or when. These guys are aren’t very friendly and stay pretty far away until it’s lock up time at night. What do I do with this? It smells pretty awful. He is still eating and drinking.
5C6CC95D-8FAD-4E81-8984-BF5A355AAEB5.jpeg
8D0478B4-6E40-4651-9D2A-0AF2E29F78FA.jpeg

Is a vet an option?

It appears your drake has had a prolapse, which can happen for several reasons, but it's possible the tissue came out while he was mating.

It would be a good idea to move him inside and set him in towels where he can't further infect the tissue with debris. Is that feces, or something else surrounding the tissue? I would try to gently flush the area with some saline to lavage out any debris or fecal matter. Once it's been lavaged well, apply an ointment to keep the tissue moist like Neosporin, or Preparation H. Make sure the tissue stays moist, and if it doesn't shrink in by itself, which it may very well won't, you'll need to try to encourage the tissue back inside his body.

Is a vet an option?

It appears your drake has had a prolapse, which can happen for several reasons, but it's possible the tissue came out while he was mating.

It would be a good idea to move him inside and set him in towels where he can't further infect the tissue with debris. Is that feces, or something else surrounding the tissue? I would try to gently flush the area with some saline to lavage out any debris or fecal matter. Once it's been lavaged well, apply an ointment to keep the tissue moist like Neosporin, or Preparation H. Make sure the tissue stays moist, and if it doesn't shrink in by itself, which it may very well won't, you'll need to try to encourage the tissue back inside his body.

I have him side the bathroom shower. Lights Off. I’m not sure what’s surrounding the tissue. I smells awful.

Is a vet an option?

Could this be a yeast infection?

Update: we soaked and got everything nasty off. Tried multiple times with hemorrhoid cream to push everything back in but he kept pushing it out. So we went to the vet this morning and he got some stitches put in to keep everything in place. 1 week inside. 2 weeks remove stitches.

Update: we soaked and got everything nasty off. Tried multiple times with hemorrhoid cream to push everything back in but he kept pushing it out. So we went to the vet this morning and he got some stitches put in to keep everything in place. 1 week inside. 2 weeks remove stitches.

Wonderful to hear. Thanks for the update, hope he continues to make a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom