HELP I CANT CATCH MY NEW CHICKEN

Ellies5Ducks

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
So I just bought three chickens yesterday to add to my duck flock... however when I went to go hand feed them treats i made the mistake of leaving the door cracked open just a bit so I wouldn’t be locked in I’m so used to ducks that when I went to chase her she flew away. Which wouldn’t be a concern because I know chickens will come back to there homes at night. But here’s the issue. I got her yesterday which means, I’m not sure she knows where exactly that is yet. And she’s so fast. I’m not sure how to catch her because she flys out of my yard every time and has even gone near a bush road earlier when I tried to get her back. Sun sets in five hours so I need to get her back in quick but she won’t come to treats or anything and I don’t really have a net.

Get a second person if you can. Herd her toward a zone where she can’t escape: a corner where two fences meet, etc. slowly approach with your arms spread out until she has no where to go. It may take a few times to catch her. Good luck.

Make a trail of mealworms to the coop, and wait for her to go there on her own.
I would clip her wings so she can't fly out of your yard anymore.

Could you lure her to the coop by enticing her with treats? Shake the treat container and then back away from her while dropping treats until she gets to where you want her to be?

Make a trail of mealworms to the coop, and wait for her to go there on her own.
I would clip her wings so she can't fly out of your yard anymore.
I finally got her in with a pool net which honestly I didn’t think about! But I do plan on clipping her wings I didn’t realize how well chickens specifically ameracaunas could fly but I get why she was worried!

Back
Top Bottom