HELP**I can't find "finisher" chicken food.(Next step up from starter)

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
How do you get the roosters the nutrition they need and feed the hens the laying feed they need. My rooster and hens are in a run and can't free range due to our dog.
Several of the posts I have read are about sick roosters. It seems most of the time the problem is the fact that roosters are eating the hens laying feed.
Any ideas you have would be great. I'm sure others of you out there have roosters and hens in the same run together.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Feed normal feed (not layer feed), and provide a dish of oyster shells. This will solve your problem.

Quote:
Wow..this is something I didn't even think of...

What if they all keep eating the regular feed...instead of the hens eating the layer feed??? We have ours all together and they don't free range either...

ok, so let me get this straight...as long as I feed layer feed, my hens don't need oyster shells? And what kind of 'regular' feed are you guys talking about that you feed the roos. Don't mean to hijack this topic, but I'm about to get confused...sorry

Quote:
Me too...sorry for taking over with this everyone but now I'm really confused and I know this should be pretty simple...

Ok, I will break this down for you. If you provide oyster shells, you don't need to feed them layer pellets. If you have chicks mixed with mature birds, feed them all starter. When you have young fowl in with mature birds, feed them all grower pellets. When you have all mature birds mixed together, feed them all a finisher pellet. Provide the oyster shells separately for the hens that are actually laying, and they will eat what they need. The other fowl that don't need the extra calcium won't eat the oyster shells. This method will keep your roosters, and young birds from eating too much calcium, which can be bad for them, and allow the hens that are laying to get the extra calcium they need to get good egg shells. I haven't bought layer pellets in years, and have nice strong egg shells. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for that break down. It is all clear now!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom